Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

So 12 hatched so far from the impossible hatch. So I must declare the goodness of my God to me. I had set 36 eggs and a weekago I come to find a temp of 65 degrees and unplugged incubator I plug it back in praying and then a day later a spike to 105 I am thinking there is no way....and then late last night I hear that little cheep cheep and there is one I think no way because I had not even stopped the auto turner and now there are 12 with a few more pipped so my God is good even when there should be none...

Someday I'm going to learn not to put eggs in my pockets. So far I've managed to break 3 pheasant eggs, which is pretty impressive (or something) if you consider I've only got one pheasant that lays eggs.
im glad your getting eggs...we are up to 70 eggs already....have it on a spreadsheet on which pen lays and how many...pretty easy to keep track then...have close to 200 eggs in the incubator as well...we should be up to 500 real quick...well thats my goal anyways...over 50 in the hoop coop that we just made...they are smaller in two sections...just got 30 show quality barred rocks...some polish...about 40 quail...66 chickens in the one brooder...and ten in another...and about 25 in the last one...and if all goes well i should have more then expected cemani coming on tuesday...so keeping our fingers crossed for sure...well have a great night everyone

i second valbazen...orally each bird....and then ten days later again orally...dont bother with putting it in the water....just my thoughts you can put the wire in the shape of an l and screw the hardware cloth up the one side with most of it on the ground and then cover with wood chips or something... we just have chicken wire down..we have two dogs to watch the place so were not to worried about the predators...the 2x10 was also placed on the bottom so we could fill it up with sand for a deep litter method....that should also deter animals that have to dig thru that much stuff...we might put bigger rocks on the inside of the coop right next to the wood and then sand over them...hope this helps...if you need help building one...i have built a couple now....so any questions you my encounter i have already been thru them twice now...and still havnt gotten it perfect but we have enough material to do three more coops so we will get it down by the time were done...
Thanks for the advice. I did an apron of hardware cloth around my permanent coop but I was afraid it wouldn't be as portable then. However now that I have the structure built I'm not sure it's easily portable anyway. It's a bit heavier then I had anticipated. I won't be able to work on it until next weekend now so I'll have some time to figure out how I want to do it.

so apparently it's going to get mighty cold at night this week (below freezing from Tuesday on). My ladies are in their brooder box in the garage. I had taken away the heat lamp entirely about a week ago while they were still in the house.

At 8 weeks old and 6 weeks old, do you think it'll be too cold in the garage for them? Maybe I should put the heat lamp back for this week? The coldest nights are suppose to be a low of 27 :-/

Hi everybody! Does anyone have Dr, Pol's number in or around Weidman MI ? I have a roo that needs surgery. I will post pics in the emergencies secton. He's gotten on for his whole life, almost 1 year but tonight I found him in a nest box. :(
No idea of what that number would be. Hope somebody else here has it.

My Iowa Blue pullet still seems like its injured as well. Still eating and drinking whenever I put it in front it in front of the food and water, and it seems to happily reach over for mealworms when I put some in her pet carrier. I'm kind of thinking about if she doesn't improve soon about taking her over to the Raptor Center over in Ann Arbor. I figure they might have a vet there that could tell me whats going on with her, if its an easy and cheap fix, or if its an injury they see all the time and it would make for a good practice case for a student. And at worse, I figure they could at least put her out of misery and feed her out to their birds who are permanent residents there. At least let them get some use out of her.

Lol I just joined today and I was thinking that same thing. What is flaming. And what the heck is going on that they have to closed down a thread about chickens. Is this Michigan chicken crowd dangerous!!

Lol I just joined today and I was thinking that same thing. What is flaming. And what the heck is going on that they have to closed down a thread about chickens. Is this Michigan chicken crowd dangerous!!
You must be new to the intarwebs.
wink.png

if you must know, some sort of a fight broke out long ago, insults were used, feelings were hurt, and everybody wanted the dunderheads to knock it off. Basically, flaming is just political talk radio.

Thanks I promise to not mention I support, oh who the heck knows who I support, and can it really be important here where I am trying to learn about raising chickens! 56 years old and these are my first chickens. I'm so excited.

That's funny, I asked the same thing when I got on here. Within a few weeks, I flammed
sad.png
. Now I know what it is! I felt really bad and apologized all over the place, got an infraction too. I think I'm off probation next month. I know I'll never do it again. The MI people are just fine! Welcome to our flock!
welcome-byc.gif

No idea of what that number would be. Hope somebody else here has it.

My Iowa Blue pullet still seems like its injured as well. Still eating and drinking whenever I put it in front it in front of the food and water, and it seems to happily reach over for mealworms when I put some in her pet carrier. I'm kind of thinking about if she doesn't improve soon about taking her over to the Raptor Center over in Ann Arbor. I figure they might have a vet there that could tell me whats going on with her, if its an easy and cheap fix, or if its an injury they see all the time and it would make for a good practice case for a student. And at worse, I figure they could at least put her out of misery and feed her out to their birds who are permanent residents there. At least let them get some use out of her.

TY! I found it! He's only 2.5 hrs away from me. What is the trouble with your girl?

Back
Top Bottom