Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I think that you need to have more posts before you can start a new thread. At least it was that way with the old format.
Nope, I see many first posts as a new thread.

I'm not sure, I usually just find an existing tread and just add my post....
It's usually best to start a new thread in the most fitting sub forum...you have to go to that sub-forum first, then click start new thread.

Oh my.. I figured it out. :celebrate Thanks everyone!!
Good job and Welcome to BYC!

Anyone have any advice on how to keep chickens from roosting on my porch? My neighbor has chickens, of which they don't take very good care of, and when we moved in to our new house a month ago and brought our one chick with us, 5 of their chickens moved in to our place.. I don't mind, except all 5 will perch on my front porch at night and sleep. It's becoming kind of stinky and we push them off and move them to the coop every night, but once the sun goes down they're right back up there. We've sprayed water hoses at them to keep them off, but they come back.. any ideas on how to teach these chicks to go to the coop at night?? Thanks!

Anyone have any advice on how to keep chickens from roosting on my porch? My neighbor has chickens, of which they don't take very good care of, and when we moved in to our new house a month ago and brought our one chick with us, 5 of their chickens moved in to our place.. I don't mind, except all 5 will perch on my front porch at night and sleep. It's becoming kind of stinky and we push them off and move them to the coop every night, but once the sun goes down they're right back up there. We've sprayed water hoses at them to keep them off, but they come back.. any ideas on how to teach these chicks to go to the coop at night?? Thanks!
Keep them locked in the coop for a week....if coop is of good size, well ventilated, and enough roost length for all birds. String a wire about 3-4 inches above the place they perch.

Pic for proof. This was before the 5th one moved in :)

IMG_20170609_225728_817.jpg

I know they bug you, but they're still so cute!
If I understand correctly those are not your chickens (?) in that case I would ask the neighbors to keep them confined to their yard

You are correct, they are not "mine". It's been an unspoken agreement between my neighbors and myself that they are officially "mine" now, as they are always in my yard and sleep here. I'm fine with it, the more the merrier. They are free ranged, as is my one chicken I moved here with.. but she will wonder back to her coop at night as these 5 will stay on the porch. So I'm trying to figure out ways to re-train these 5 girls to do the same as she! It's funny, really. My girl laid her first egg on that very porch easter morning this year, and since then one of my neighbors chicks has laid all her eggs under the step every morning. I don't know what it is about the porch, but it sure would be nice to have it back! ;)
I know they bug you, but they're still so cute!
If I understand correctly those are not your chickens (?) in that case I would ask the neighbors to keep them confined to their yard

Work something out with your neighbors. Your chicken will learn where its supposed to stay if you lock it up in your coop for a week. Their birds need to be locked up in their coop too. They'll learn. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom