Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hello fellow Michiganders. New to the site and recently confirmed that I accidentally received a rooster with a recent purchase of what I thought were four hens. I now need to get rid of the rooster and am willing to part with him for free to someone. I'm at the base of Leelanau county. Picture of the Amber Link Cockerel attached. IMG_0382.JPG

You are correct, they are not "mine". It's been an unspoken agreement between my neighbors and myself that they are officially "mine" now, as they are always in my yard and sleep here. I'm fine with it, the more the merrier. They are free ranged, as is my one chicken I moved here with.. but she will wonder back to her coop at night as these 5 will stay on the porch. So I'm trying to figure out ways to re-train these 5 girls to do the same as she! It's funny, really. My girl laid her first egg on that very porch easter morning this year, and since then one of my neighbors chicks has laid all her eggs under the step every morning. I don't know what it is about the porch, but it sure would be nice to have it back! ;)

Get a really nice treat like meal worms and lure them all into your coop then lock them in there for a week. It shouldn't take much at all. Sooner or later they will all find your chickens water and food source and at least kinda get an idea of where they belong, especially if your neighbor isn't feeding them.

Out of the fertile eggs I picked up at CS17 only 2 hatched. Several quit based on the horrid smell once the 2 hatched. Still there are 2 nests with intact eggs that I'll wait for a few days before tossing. Just in case my 21 days were different from the hen's 21 days.

The turkey poults are a riot. One just has to run full-tilt everywhere s/he goes. I call him Zoomie and he comes when I call him.

I'll try to get a couple of photos of the new chicks just in case you haven't seen what new hatchlings look like. :lau

Back
Top Bottom