Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Candy442

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 2, 2013
Williamston, MI
Brett has ventured into the turkey keeping. Now we have chickens, ducks, and midget white turkeys! He drove all the way up to Kalkaska to get a free Tom and hen to mix with our 10 hens he got from someone else. This breed of turkey is critical. They are nice, small birds perfect to raise on a homestead. Fun to watch and have around for sure :) when ready, we will have turkey poults (hopefully) and eggs to hatch 2021.

Folly's place

Enabler
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Maybe in spring?! I'll need separate housing for turkeys, but always thought that the midget whites were a good choice. Hummm....
Our raptor problems have been almost entirely with the bantams we have, both Belgian d'Uccles and EEs, only once with a fully adult large bird. Love the little guys, but so do the hawks!
Mary

Folly's place

Enabler
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
All winter to think about it though. Small turkeys would be more useful rather than geese, right? Would we be able to actually eat any of them? Thanksgiving? Christmas? Non-events this year, but maybe in 2021?!
Mary

RaZ

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 20, 2011
Paradise, MI
While I would love to raise turkeys to eat, I find that when push comes to shove I have a hard time eating anything that I have Raised. I just lose my appetite.
I have the same problem to an extent. I couldn't cull my birds personally. But I did take several to Munsell's when I lived down there. Now that I'm up here, I find that there is no place nearby to do the deed. Maybe I can find some local Amish who can process birds for me.
I think that my young rooster is going to have to go to freezer camp. He is still being a jerk and bully.

snowflake

Crowing
Aug 21, 2009
Belding Michigan
Haven't seen too many coons this year. Last year there were a abundance of them. Had to take care of a few. But, as long as they don't become a menace, I will leave them alone. As long as you have a secure run and the chickens are locked up for the night securely in their coop, they shouldn't be a problem.
We have not seen very many either. Seems the electric wire around the bottom of the run helps deter them. lots of dead ones on the road.
We have heard owls, barred and screach... love the owl's Love the owl's could listen to them all night. love seeing the raptors also. although we have plenty of rabbits, they could leave my chickens alone :(

aart

Chicken Juggler!
Premium Feather Member
Nov 27, 2012
SW Michigan
My Coop
While I would love to raise turkeys to eat, I find that when push comes to shove I have a hard time eating anything that I have Raised. I just lose my appetite.
I have the same problem to an extent. I couldn't cull my birds personally. But I did take several to Munsell's when I lived down there. Now that I'm up here, I find that there is no place nearby to do the deed. Maybe I can find some local Amish who can process birds for me.
I think that my young rooster is going to have to go to freezer camp. He is still being a jerk and bully.
My chicken plan from the start was eggs and meat,
new layer chicks every year and some meat in the freezer.
Slaughtering is not my favorite part of chickeneering,
took me all winter to get up the nerve to slaughter that first excess trouble making cockerel,
but it sure is satisfying and delicious.
The first older hens were almost as hard to do as that first cockerel.

Sally PB

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
The first older hens were almost as hard to do as that first cockerel.
Doing the two cockerels who turned into unholy terrors was HARD. I'm not sure how I will manage old hens. I have a few years to get used to the idea, at least.

Yes, I know that's part of the deal. My husband said he would be happy to eat eggs, but will have no part of killing any birds (even though he has tasted home grown chicken and said there is no comparison to store bought). So I'll be on my own.

Top Bottom