Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

uchytil

Songster
Apr 28, 2011
I raise meat chickens to eat. Much better than store bought and I wait until they are basically being given away. My favorite eggs are my duck eggs. Chicken eggs are okay, lol. Lots of pork in the freezer from my pens. Lots of goat cheese thanks to my girls. Wine, oh my, gallons of anything you can imagine form at least 7 different fruits here on the farm. Maple syrup by the gallons. I have pets, sure, but I like being able to provide for myself from within...it's magical! Oh and some rabbit also, lol. Sure I get my beef from the guy across the street...

RaZ

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 20, 2011
Paradise, MI
I raise meat chickens to eat. Much better than store bought and I wait until they are basically being given away. My favorite eggs are my duck eggs. Chicken eggs are okay, lol. Lots of pork in the freezer from my pens. Lots of goat cheese thanks to my girls. Wine, oh my, gallons of anything you can imagine form at least 7 different fruits here on the farm. Maple syrup by the gallons. I have pets, sure, but I like being able to provide for myself from within...it's magical! Oh and some rabbit also, lol. Sure I get my beef from the guy across the street...
What? No fish in the freezer?

RaZ

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
Apr 20, 2011
Paradise, MI
I'll be culling Little Boy tomorrow. Sadly, he just isn't a keeper.
I will be able to add the 4 orphan chicks to the flock once he is gone. Big Boy was/is good with the new chicks and even the ducks. I'll now be able to keep the single run for the winter and have both the chickens and hens share. I'm still working on having a separate duck house just for them. I really don't want the ducks making the coop all messy and wet over the winter. I just need to train the ducks to go in to their own house at night and not the big coop.

:lau On a side note, I have a couple of friends from downstate coming up to visit in 2 weeks. They have offered to help with chores. They have no idea how busy they will be.

Mfranks

Songster
May 3, 2020
SW Michigan
Thank you so much for your reply! Mine are quite sweet too! Not overly friendly but docile! I’m so looking forward to eggs, sounds like I won’t have to wait too much longer (hopefully)!!!! You have a beautiful range of colors!
This is my first little flock and they are all from Townline. Never having done this before, the sales people at farm and home encouraged me to get 5 different birds...honestly, they were horrible to work with (but that’s another story)

I have one more waiting to lay...she is an Americana...or as many have told me a fancy Easter Egger. She is suppose to lay blue eggs. That will round out my colors for this year.

They are all wonderful ladies and I’m learning a lot from them and more from BYC. 😉

Top Bottom