Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

So sorry that he turned into a jerk, @RaZ! The two boys that I kept have been fine (so far!) and my cockerel problems have been that there are too many bantam boys, nothing to do with the Chanties. It's so difficult to pick cockerels sometimes, because they can change as they mature. Your 'Big Boy' is old enough that he should continue being good, he certainly never had a bad thought here!
Mary

Hi all! I know you’re having a serious talk about culling (I have a barnyard mix Cockerel that won’t be able to stay, he’s a turd. But I can’t bring myself to actually do the deed).
I did want to ask if anyone else in MI had Olive Eggers from Townline hatchery? I’d love to see pictures of eggs if possible. I have 3 of them and they are going on 21 weeks this Monday. No eggs from any of their 12 flock mates either so I’m living for other peoples experiences!
I think Townlines mix is relatively new - they don’t even have pictures of their stock on the website. I’d like to know if I will get olive eggs or if I’m doomed to brown eggs. At this point, though, I’d take ANY EGGS. Come on, pullets!!!
I have an olive Egger from Townline and she is an absolute sweet pea!

She laid her first egg at 23 weeks and they are indeed olive green. She lays every couple of days then takes a day off. Here is a pic of her eggs vs the others to give you a perspective of the color. Very pretty and a bit smaller than my other layers at about 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 oz.

Good luck.

Attachments

• 9807653B-664A-46E2-95C9-114D0CA965DD.jpeg
    9807653B-664A-46E2-95C9-114D0CA965DD.jpeg
    565.5 KB · Views: 6
I have an olive Egger from Townline and she is an absolute sweet pea!

She laid her first egg at 23 weeks and they are indeed olive green. She lays every couple of days then takes a day off. Here is a pic of her eggs vs the others to give you a perspective of the color. Very pretty and a bit smaller than my other layers at about 1 1/2 to 1 5/8 oz.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for your reply! Mine are quite sweet too! Not overly friendly but docile! I’m so looking forward to eggs, sounds like I won’t have to wait too much longer (hopefully)!!!! You have a beautiful range of colors!

I raise meat chickens to eat. Much better than store bought and I wait until they are basically being given away. My favorite eggs are my duck eggs. Chicken eggs are okay, lol. Lots of pork in the freezer from my pens. Lots of goat cheese thanks to my girls. Wine, oh my, gallons of anything you can imagine form at least 7 different fruits here on the farm. Maple syrup by the gallons. I have pets, sure, but I like being able to provide for myself from within...it's magical! Oh and some rabbit also, lol. Sure I get my beef from the guy across the street...

I raise meat chickens to eat. Much better than store bought and I wait until they are basically being given away. My favorite eggs are my duck eggs. Chicken eggs are okay, lol. Lots of pork in the freezer from my pens. Lots of goat cheese thanks to my girls. Wine, oh my, gallons of anything you can imagine form at least 7 different fruits here on the farm. Maple syrup by the gallons. I have pets, sure, but I like being able to provide for myself from within...it's magical! Oh and some rabbit also, lol. Sure I get my beef from the guy across the street...
What? No fish in the freezer?

I'll be culling Little Boy tomorrow. Sadly, he just isn't a keeper.
I will be able to add the 4 orphan chicks to the flock once he is gone. Big Boy was/is good with the new chicks and even the ducks. I'll now be able to keep the single run for the winter and have both the chickens and hens share. I'm still working on having a separate duck house just for them. I really don't want the ducks making the coop all messy and wet over the winter. I just need to train the ducks to go in to their own house at night and not the big coop.

:lau On a side note, I have a couple of friends from downstate coming up to visit in 2 weeks. They have offered to help with chores. They have no idea how busy they will be.

Back
Top Bottom