Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Spring and fall are migration times for hawks, owls and eagles, and free-roaming chickens are at higher risk. Raptors are federally protected, so the best defense is to keep birds in while the hungry migrating birds pass through.
Thanks! I was up at the new house, my dad calls the ranch:) he’s 82 and is so excited to come up for a visit...I’m trying to convince him to stay!! There’s a room for him....

Anyway...I heard an owl up there last night and always see hawks in the nicer weather. Thanks for the tip to keep them in lockdown. Also, there is a family of coons on the trail cam that will to be dealt with swiftly when we get up there permanently.
Cheers

Haven't seen too many coons this year. Last year there were a abundance of them. Had to take care of a few. But, as long as they don't become a menace, I will leave them alone. As long as you have a secure run and the chickens are locked up for the night securely in their coop, they shouldn't be a problem.

Brett has ventured into the turkey keeping. Now we have chickens, ducks, and midget white turkeys! He drove all the way up to Kalkaska to get a free Tom and hen to mix with our 10 hens he got from someone else. This breed of turkey is critical. They are nice, small birds perfect to raise on a homestead. Fun to watch and have around for sure :) when ready, we will have turkey poults (hopefully) and eggs to hatch 2021.

All winter to think about it though. Small turkeys would be more useful rather than geese, right? Would we be able to actually eat any of them? Thanksgiving? Christmas? Non-events this year, but maybe in 2021?!
Mary

While I would love to raise turkeys to eat, I find that when push comes to shove I have a hard time eating anything that I have Raised. I just lose my appetite.
I have the same problem to an extent. I couldn't cull my birds personally. But I did take several to Munsell's when I lived down there. Now that I'm up here, I find that there is no place nearby to do the deed. Maybe I can find some local Amish who can process birds for me.
I think that my young rooster is going to have to go to freezer camp. He is still being a jerk and bully.

Back
Top Bottom