Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Another exciting storm front just went through here, this time with one inch hail! Haven't seen hail like that in decades!!!
Wind, rain, and hail. Wonderful! As a daily event, not so much.
At least this time I was home, not driving through it. Any chickens who didn't get under cover won't be happy.
Mary
I saw that on the weather sites.....looked gnarly!

Morning Everyone!

WOW! sorry for all the bad weather. Nothing but heat around these neck of the woods. Girls are ok. Run is at a still. They are starting to go in on their own( :bow finally!) I give them treats while they are in the roost and last night Sophia got caught on one of her toes in a screw. Need to fix that today. Good thin I was there. She was just hanging by her toe but I caught her. This morning she is walking fine. That was scary! The big opening doors are done, just need to make the other screened door. It is just too hot to do anything outside. I have even thought on those diapers and bringing them in for AC.
Having other issues but will deal with them little at a time.
Did tried the Fermented feed and just like the dried worms, they are not having none. Oh well, they are eating their crumbs fine and no egg yet. See ya all later!

looked gnarly!
Oh my! I haven't seen/heard that word in decades! :gig

The last time we had appreciable sized hail was shortly after I bought my new-to-me 4 year old car. Yup, nickel sized hail will leave dents. Still have that car, still has the dents. Wow, that was 10 years ago... :eek:

The heat is supposed to break tonight/tomorrow. I have a list as long as my arm of stuff I've been "waiting for it to cool down" to do.

Like build the brooder in the coop. The littles are a week and a half (ish) old now. they won't be going out for a few weeks yet; I don't have electricity in the coop, so they have to be totally off heat before they move. @aart @Folly's place @1muttsfan , I'm thinking that is 4-5 weeks old, right?

When I get it built, I'll post pictures for your comment/approval/suggestions. Don't know what I would do without the collective brain trust here...

Moving them outside without heat will be weather dependent, and also having a place where they can huddle during the night. Look at ways to have a covered corner, for example, in the shavings.
Our chicks do have heat when they move to their coop section, and i watch the temps and also their behavior to see what works for them. By five weeks of age they should be feathered well enough to be out there this summer.
Mary

@Folly's place you are getting storms that are missing us entirely!! I’m sorry that they are leaving an impression so to speak:) there hasn’t even been the treat of a cloudy day here! I would love some rain.

Cleaned the wild bird feeders today. YUK😖. Need to keep on top of that one more frequently. It has been so hot that the suet as actually been melting and dripping from the suet feeders. I have a bunch of hummingbirds that are comfortable around me now, but the orioles appear to have moved on. Anyone keep those feeders out this time of year?

Also, the raccoon is back! I closed up the girls last night and brought the waterer in to do a cleaning, and in about 10 minutes time the raccoon was out there eating the food in the run. I have seen him/her every night on the camera trying to get in. I left the run door open, not the coop chicken door thank goodness and there he was. Those suckers can climb. There was still some daylight so I thought a few minutes wouldnt be a big deal….NEVER AGAIN. I never leave any of the doors open and unattended but thought, “this shouldn’t be a big deal.” Live trap is going out tonight.

Human error…the coop is built like Fort Knox, but if you dont close the door…never know what is lurking in the woods…

The littles spent some time yesterday in the transition coop in the garage. They will be 4 weeks tomorrow and firgure it is time to start letting them get used to their next home. I am rigging up some wire so they can spend some time with the big girls safely in the big coop. I’m not sure how they are going to react to the new girls. I walked them over to the big girls and they just stared at me like I was cheating on them. :rant :gig

Heading to graduation party this afternoon. Watered the plants and trees this morning and going to attempt to relax a bit today. We will see if that happens.

Have a wonderful day everyone.

We've had 2.1 inches of rain in two days! One inch in less than an hour each afternoon! Making up for all this dry weather, all at once.
This is not a complaint, we really have needed this rain.
And no power outage either day. it's because we had a whole house generator installed a couple of years ago. Like insurance for the neighborhood, no outages since then.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom