Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

5 hens a-layin.
love the nesting box, I need a couple more Mine is only a 3 seater
D.gif

Hello everyone! Just wanted to put out there to all the Michiganders, that I have 2 Welsh Harlequin ducklings for sale. (craigslist link below) As I said on the add I am pretty sure that they are both girls. Very sweet babies, but I just have 2 to many girls, so would like these to go to a good home.

http://flint.craigslist.org/grd/3770137261.html

Thank you in advance!
not looking for ducks, but they sure are cute!!

love the coop with the plastic on is the plastic just on the run, or the whole thing?

Aside from a future coat of paint... It is done! I may in future also find a "just right" window... We'll see. I even managed a side nest box. I did change the lid on the nest box and am using a peice of the for sale sign now. Neighbor helped me cut it STRAIGHT. LOL
I also added a block board up there under the roof so it's still vented out the front, but if the rain is coming out of the east, it will not go in the coop. I hope I left enough gaps at the top for ventilation.

I figure Strutter is a pretty tall guy, so the roost is lower, but the hens can walk under it. I didn't want Strutters comb touching the ceiling if he were to be standing on the roost. From the ceiling, there is also a hook hanging for the water... or the food... Not sure which. Also, will be able to hang a fish tank lamp in the winter.

The gap in the back is an inch and a half. Yes, it will have hardware cloth over it to keep out anything that can climb up the side and try and get in. I decided to not have a hole in the floor. They will just have to wait on me to let them out in the AM.

SO... How's my $23 coop looking? I am VERY happy with my "by the seat of my pants" design. LOL

Of all the odd places a hen can choose to lay an egg, how is this for a feat?

I have no idea how she managed to get positioned on the flexible mesh to lay this egg. The mesh separates the big girls from the Sebright chicks.
Of the Sebrights, 3 are cockerels and one tried his crow this afternoon. Sounded like a rusty gate hinge.
D.gif

Who uses the water nipples? I have one coming out of the top of a coke bottle. It absolutely does not leak, yet the bottom of my brooder is soaked. How do you handle that? I have watched my birds drink and always, some gets shook off onto the ground.

My second question of the day is, can we be sure my girls are girls? I posted pics but no one said anything. Here they are again. I'd like opinions please! Also please comment about the breed. I think they are ISA Browns. They were labeled red pullets from TSC, which are supplied by Townline. They all look exactly alike. So much so that I have not named them because only one has enough color difference to tell them apart!

Remember the "Pokey"

Not chicken related, but just wanted to share anyway.

Took care of the chickens this morning and went to work. Once I got there, I got a text from my DH. Seems my mini mare decided to have her mini mule foal last night.
Here he is, measuring 24", looking just like his daddy with all the spunk of his mama. Mama and foal are doing great.

AND... he has a name. But I need to explain first.

My DH's great uncle just passed this week. His visitation was this evening, and funeral tomorrow down in the Jackson area. He was 93(?) and passed of cancer. He could whistle like no other person I have ever met, the birds envied his skill. A good person, a kind man, never knew if he was telling the truth or telling a tall one. And stubborn (well, what man isn't?) His name was John.
And the dear friend who gave me her mini mare, who wants to build her own ranch some day with the name 'Absolute' in it somehow.

My new baby's name is "Little John's Absolute Spirit"

I think we might shorten that to "LJ"

Aside from a future coat of paint... It is done! I may in future also find a "just right" window... We'll see. I even managed a side nest box. I did change the lid on the nest box and am using a peice of the for sale sign now. Neighbor helped me cut it STRAIGHT. LOL I also added a block board up there under the roof so it's still vented out the front, but if the rain is coming out of the east, it will not go in the coop. I hope I left enough gaps at the top for ventilation. I figure Strutter is a pretty tall guy, so the roost is lower, but the hens can walk under it. I didn't want Strutters comb touching the ceiling if he were to be standing on the roost. From the ceiling, there is also a hook hanging for the water... or the food... Not sure which. Also, will be able to hang a fish tank lamp in the winter. The gap in the back is an inch and a half. Yes, it will have hardware cloth over it to keep out anything that can climb up the side and try and get in. I decided to not have a hole in the floor. They will just have to wait on me to let them out in the AM. SO... How's my $23 coop looking? I am VERY happy with my "by the seat of my pants" design. LOL
Love it.

Of all the odd places a hen can choose to lay an egg, how is this for a feat? I have no idea how she managed to get positioned on the flexible mesh to lay this egg. The mesh separates the big girls from the Sebright chicks. Of the Sebrights, 3 are cockerels and one tried his crow this afternoon. Sounded like a rusty gate hinge.
D.gif
That is one talented hen!

Remember the "Pokey"

Not chicken related, but just wanted to share anyway.

Took care of the chickens this morning and went to work. Once I got there, I got a text from my DH. Seems my mini mare decided to have her mini mule foal last night.
Here he is, measuring 24", looking just like his daddy with all the spunk of his mama. Mama and foal are doing great.

AND... he has a name. But I need to explain first.

My DH's great uncle just passed this week. His visitation was this evening, and funeral tomorrow down in the Jackson area. He was 93(?) and passed of cancer. He could whistle like no other person I have ever met, the birds envied his skill. A good person, a kind man, never knew if he was telling the truth or telling a tall one. And stubborn (well, what man isn't?) His name was John.
And the dear friend who gave me her mini mare, who wants to build her own ranch some day with the name 'Absolute' in it somehow.

My new baby's name is "Little John's Absolute Spirit"

I think we might shorten that to "LJ"

i am in luv with LJ
love.gif
!!

Back
Top Bottom