Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Nova your boys tails are definitely longer than my boy. My Phoenix boy has fallen for an older Cochin girl and follows her everywhere. It's pretty funny to watch.

Opa the other problem with live trapping, besides the illegal, is you are just giving the problem to someone else and have taught the critter to stay away from future traps. Predators aren't stupid, if they have a choice between free easy meal or chasing down a hard to catch meal they will take the easy one every time and come back for more.

I had tons of work to do coop construction, cleaning and more, but.....

We skipped out to the u.p. for a beautiful day. D.H. Had a vacation day he had to use or lose and picked a great day.

Quote:

I know there is other forums but I still don't get it? If a EE is a mutt then how is Ameraucana being a cross if bred together not a mutt? (Not trying to offend anybody)
So what is the difference between a Easter Egger and a Ameraucana? I understand that a Araucana is its own breed? Also does anybody in SE Michigan have any true Araucana chicks for sale?

My last hatch for the year is happening right now. I live in NW Michigan. PM me, let me know what you are looking for. I seem to have an issue with hatching...repeatedly....

And could you please share that contact information for the lady moving to Florida.

Last edited:
clouds look like they are moving fast this AM, wonder if we will get rain?
DH has a black powder shoot this weekend, hope it holds off for him, Grandson's have football at noon pick up grandaughters for a sleep over after the game
making plans for winterizing the chicken run, would like to get it set up soon so we don't have to do it in the cold
Have a great day all

Opa the other problem with live trapping, besides the illegal, is you are just giving the problem to someone else and have taught the critter to stay away from future traps. Predators aren't stupid, if they have a choice between free easy meal or chasing down a hard to catch meal they will take the easy one every time and come back for more.

Back in the day, my grandpa would trap raccoons, give them a shot of spray paint on the back of their heads to mark them and release them in the next county. They'd always turn up after a couple weeks. I believe it's legal to transplant detrimental critters if you get a permit but there are very specific rules as to how you do it, not on private property, near a right-of-way and it must be in your own county, just to name a few. I dunno. I remember reading that on a DNR site once but it might have changed since then and I'm too lazy to go looking for it again. Then there's always the possibility, as my grandpa learned, that they'll be back.

Last edited:
I know there is other forums but I still don't get it? If a EE is a mutt then how is Ameraucana being a cross if bred together not a mutt? (Not trying to offend anybody)
So what is the difference between a Easter Egger and a Ameraucana? I understand that a Araucana is its own breed?

An Ameraucana being cross bred with anything BUT an Ameraucana would be considered a mutt. So most consider the chicks between an Ameraucana and another breed to be EE themselves, crossbred blue egg layers.

The Ameraucana is its own breed. The APA recognized it as an official breed in 1984. It has its own description, standards, and most importantly, it breeds true.

Breeding true is very important. To actually be a breed, a chicken must produce SOP chicks at least 50% of the time. That allows for lethal, recessive, and co dominant traits to express themselves, which is why breeds aren't require to breed true 100% of the time.

The Araucana it its own breed too. It was accepted by the APA in 1976, earlier than the Ameraucana. The Araucana originally was a mix between two South American breeds, the Colloncas, which laid blue eggs, was rumpless, and cleanfaced, and the Quetero, a tailed and tufted breed. But it hasn't been considered a 'mixed breed' for a long time, as it also breeds true.

[/quote]
And could you please share that contact information for the lady moving to Florida.
[/quote]
I PMed the info to the people interested after contacting her to make sure it was okay. She does have either eggs in the bator or a current hatch (or both) I think she said.

Last edited:
Okay - I really need to stay off Craigslist. First incubators, now another coop . . . it's nothing fancy but it will do for a quarantine coop. Now Opa needs to come build me a little run for it, lol. J/K. I've been using pallets for a small fence system and it seems to be working out decently. Not predator-proof by any means, but it keeps the chickens in.

Here is a photo of the Ameracauna pullet we got from Follys place (Mary). Mary has a cockerel to rehome to someone who would use him for their flock, not just the freezer :) Mary's birds are beautiful and healthy. I also got Pearl from her (went photo crazy myself, Nova :) )shown below.

Jet-approx 24 weeks old so contact Folly's Place for her available rooster! these birds are very docile too. Jet is smaller than all of Mary's other Ameracaunas.

Here's the Chantecler "Pearl" we got from Mary (Folly's Place)

Below is my "lead" hen Lizzy....Red sex link? she was in that bin at the feed store.

Photo of our EE roo "TwoTone" having a beverage with another red sex link named "Little Wing"...get a gander at that weird comb he sports! poor guy...
smile.png

Our EE hens Hawkie the brown/black and Peep the wheaten color below:

and finally the other bossy "red" Peckie rounds out our flock.

We are adding Jake's two Delawares and I am super excited!!
wee.gif

now back to my coffee....and reading your news
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom