Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Does anyone have any experience with turkeys? This is my first year and I want to know if it's too early or okay to free range my 8 week old turkeys? I don't want them getting lost and not finding their way back to the coop. Anyone help? Thanks MI BYC!

Turkeys are not very bright. I would suggest while they're that small, to use a tractor to allow them to forage. You may also, depending on the breed, need to trim one wing to help discourage them from flying.. BBW or BBB, it will not be necessary once they gain weight. I have had turkeys for about 3yrs. they still have to be herded into the roost at night, though I don't have issues with them flying over the 4 fence. They will fly up 6' to get on a kennel wall or the roof of the shed, but can't figure out how to get over a 3' fence. Like I said, not that bright. But, they will come for treats like blueberries and watermelon, that kind of stuff they can remember!
Sam, hope you heal up quickly!
Raz, still up in the air about the honey festival, I'll let you know.
As far as the Faverolle, you may call it a faverolle, but not a salmon because that describes the color of the light tan variety. Black, white and blues and salmon are the common colors in the US. The Bantem faves come in some other colors. That one looks like a mix to me.. I've had a few dark brown, w/black specked faverolles, but I culled them to try to keep the colors correct when I was raising them. I will probably go back to this breed in the future, they're nice birds.

Last edited:
Wicked storms that went thru here last night. It was endless lightening and thunder! I hear lots of people are without power. We're lucky that we still have power. Hope all survived! Have a great day!
'

Yeah, storms hit around here at 0400. Awesome light show...luckily we didn't lose power; it did flicker once.
Kinda glad it's cloudy as yesterday's headache is now approaching migraine status & light is very painful. Nice way to be spending the start of my week vacation...NOT!

Hope everyone else made it thru the storms with no damage, etc!

Ok...back to eyes closed mode...

I hope everyone had a great 4th weekend. Ate lots of summer time food and enjoyed the perfect weather conditions. Not chicken related but just got back from Buchanan where I work every year at the Red Bud Pro Motocross Races. Even though I work day and night for 4 straight days I always have so much fun - a payed holiday. Anyway now it's time to immerse myself back into the farming. Looking for a steel grey Flemish buck. Not as easy as you would think! Every time I find one listed they are "promised" to someone else. And, it needs to be in reasonable driving around Muskegon/Twin Lake. The new hutch is built and the new doe is waiting for her mate!

Girls are singing the egg song...while I don't mind, DH and I are super self-conscious the neighbors will complain. How long does it last until they stop "singing" before every egg??

yuckyuck.gif

Hello all! I've got some bad news on my part.

Today, my mother noticed that our sweetie Jeannie has a large crack on her beak. We have no idea how this happened, when it happened, or how to treat it. I'm worried about my baby, and we don't know what to do. All feedback would be appreciated and as soon as possible, please. Thanks in advance.

Worried,
Jeym :(

Back
Top Bottom