Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Yikes!! Whew! Good thing you built that run tho, huh? Glad their safe, and they'll get used to it.
Mine are confined too, but safe, and I bring them greens, bugs and have grazing frames too.

Grats on the chickies....they can offer a zenlike focus.

Glad to know they may eventually be happy in the run. I just have to find them more 'toys' to keep them occupied, I guess. And yes, I am very glad I have the run. I just wish I had made it a little bigger. Had originally planned on having it about 3 times as big as it is, so I could do a rotation through it with them. But it always comes down to money, and then I figured I'd just let them out for part of the day. Maybe I'll extend it next year, instead of the electric fence. Lot's of things to consider now. And chicks are the best. I wish they'd stay tiny and cute for just a little longer, really. Seems as though all babies grow up too fast.

I spent the last 3 days after work making zucchini bread, with my mom & best friend. Man am I whooped!

I started with this.... (the picture does not do them justice, they're mammoths!).

And ended with this...

We baked 66 loaves!! I came home with 22 of them... Gave 1 to the neighbor, family ate one, 2 on deck, and put 18 in the freezer. Yum.

bread looks so good, my favorite is pumpkin zucchini hope there is still lots of zucchini when we get back from camping next week as I plan to get some in the freezer too,
Hello all, and welcome to the newcomers!

Exciting day for our family. I saw my ISA red, Jeannie, wander over to the very corner of the yard. A little bit later, after I followed her and she left. What I found made my day! Laying right there in the little nest Jeannie had made were two eggs! When my mom and brother came outside, jeannie ran up to them and started clucking repeatedly. She followed them to the corner of the yard. We walked around the bushy area and found two more! Not only Jeannie is laying, but another one of our chickens is as well. My family was so excited! By the end of the day, we had five eggs in a bowl!
smile.png
congrats on the eggs, hope you got the escape artist stopped
wink.png

Anyone have a good home remedy for stinky dog ears? Both my girl dogs have an odor to their ears, perhaps a yeast infection.
idunno.gif
There is no discharge or visible debris and it doesn't seem to bother them. Just a strong odor.
plain yogurt is good for yeast infection, had a Dr. tell me once it works just as well as over the counter meds

I have called vet after vet only to find that even thr ones that do "birds" won't touch "barnyard animals. " Some have a giggle in the voice and some disdain,one receptionist at a place i went was very offensive. I was up half the night googling in a fit of desperation, I was beyond excited to find a list of vets that were willing to do outside birds. If anyone has a place they have gone or that will do outside birds please tell! I am going to make a page for us for emergencies.

My new Vet for my cat does farm animals. I asked about chickens and they said they do.
Switzer Vet Clinic 3463 M-32 Alpena, MI 1-989-356-4880

I have called vet after vet only to find that even thr ones that do "birds" won't touch "barnyard animals. " Some have a giggle in the voice and some disdain,one receptionist at a place i went was very offensive. I was up half the night googling in a fit of desperation, I was beyond excited to find a list of vets that were willing to do outside birds. If anyone has a place they have gone or that will do outside birds please tell! I am going to make a page for us for emergencies.

Dr. Bennett he is the GR zoo Dr. and will see chickens, 133 28th st. 616-241-3651     My vet in Greenville is willing to see if he can help but has never treated chickens, they do stool samples for me and that is a help but had to ask me what they might be looking for as they don't normally get chickens

My new Vet for my cat does farm animals. I asked about chickens and they said they do.
Switzer Vet Clinic 3463 M-32 Alpena, MI 1-989-356-4880

Thanks guys. Alpena is far for me, but i'll put it in the page. Gr is closer, might give that guy a ring mon. For this second i am hoping a bunch of the soft stuff passes; if i have to i can give shots and can get penicillin and tylan to hold her over. She is a little weak from the ordeal but in high spirits and in a large dog crate in my spare bedroom.

One odd fact i have learned through my googling of this: most of the stories of impacted chickens revolve around someone's favorite easter egger- so now i have to wonder are they all just a little daft, or are they just that endearing to warrant saving???!!! Maybe both..... gah

Last edited:
bread looks so good, my favorite is pumpkin zucchini hope there is still lots of zucchini when we get back from camping next week as I plan to get some in the freezer too, 
congrats on the eggs, hope you got the escape artist stopped;)
plain yogurt is good for yeast infection, had a Dr. tell me once it works just as well as over the counter meds
Not sure that stuffing yogurt in their ears is a good thing.

Whoooooooooo

Where's are you stuffing that yogurt?!?!?!?!

Lmao.

DH found a large pile of feathers in the yard that I identified as Partridge Rock feathers. I did a count and they were all there so I checked Welsummers since they are close in color. All there. So I went back over the Rocks closer only to discover molting has started. It didn't even wait for the fair this year...

Anyone know of a chicken processor in the GR area? We have about 5 to process and are having a hard time finding someone to do it. Also, I have a gorgeous lavender ameraucana and blue copper marans rooster available if anyone is looking for either!

I know I only jump in here when I have questions and I appreciate all the feedback but I have recently introduced 2 new chickens to my flock of 4. They all seem to be getting along except for our hen who I think is the lowest in the pecking order. She has not laid any eggs in about a week and now seems to be loosing feathers. Is this all from stress? Is there anything I can do to comfort her? I don't think she is molting because they all molted last fall. Any suggestions or comments are appreciated. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom