Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I have called vet after vet only to find that even thr ones that do "birds" won't touch "barnyard animals. " Some have a giggle in the voice and some disdain,one receptionist at a place i went was very offensive. I was up half the night googling in a fit of desperation, I was beyond excited to find a list of vets that were willing to do outside birds. If anyone has a place they have gone or that will do outside birds please tell! I am going to make a page for us for emergencies.

Last edited:
I went out earlier in the day with a sad heart and bought surgery supplies- it is not that i can't do it but i don't think i should with no way to numb it. But was so desperate. Then i chilled with a glass of captain and googled as i was equally desperate to NOT do this myself.

The creator may have shown pity however because i broke "the rules" of impacted crop treatment of no pellets no fruit; i felt if i was going to empty it the next day anyway.... So i gave her most of a banana through the day and put some mana pro conditioner pellets under a layer of water and tricked her into drinking. (They have a day's nutrition in a couple Tb, and turn into tiny particle flakes when soaked instead of mash) To my surprise her mass is very squishy like the banana today! And she is drinking on her own. So the next phase is the decomposing of the mass ( finally after 3 weeks of intensive round the clock care) and treating the resulting infection which could kill her too. On tinterhooks and even though it may not need surgery i am not out of the danger zone and might need culture tests to know whether i am fighting bacteria or yeast. In the past it was yeast (breath will smell yeasty) so i got away with garlic. But if i go it alone i have to wait and find the perfect moment to stop the decomposing process with the meds....

Here's a pic of my duccle hen named Skittles.

Two days ago the chickens were out in the yard while I was in the house on the computer. Suddenly heard them start making a great deal of noise, and glanced out the window to see them running by. So I went to investigate. Saw a fox in the yard, about 20 feet away from them. I don't think it was chasing them at the time, I don't know if it was going to. When it saw me, it took off into the woods. None of my birds were hurt, so I consider myself lucky there. But, I don't feel I can trust having them out in the yard now. They've been locked in their run for 2 days now, and they're miserable. And I miss watching them be chickens. Every time I see a picture of a chicken out on grass, I feel like I've been robbed. Oh well. Spent all my money building their run this year, but I'll look into electric fencing for them next year, I think. And I'll put in some grow frames, and a little bit of a compost pile for them to dig through in the run. Maybe that'll help keep them happier.

Happier stuff; I had 5 chicks hatch this morning. 3 are from my favorite hen, so hopefully I'll have at least one girl from her. I keep forgetting how cute chicks are. Spent an hour just sitting watching them sleep. That was relaxing. Curious now to see how they grow up. They're all mixed up; I've no idea what breeds are in their dad. The mom's are all EE's.

Two days ago the chickens were out in the yard while I was in the house on the computer. Suddenly heard them start making a great deal of noise, and glanced out the window to see them running by. So I went to investigate. Saw a fox in the yard, about 20 feet away from them. I don't think it was chasing them at the time, I don't know if it was going to. When it saw me, it took off into the woods. None of my birds were hurt, so I consider myself lucky there. But, I don't feel I can trust having them out in the yard now. They've been locked in their run for 2 days now, and they're miserable. And I miss watching them be chickens. Every time I see a picture of a chicken out on grass, I feel like I've been robbed. Oh well. Spent all my money building their run this year, but I'll look into electric fencing for them next year, I think. And I'll put in some grow frames, and a little bit of a compost pile for them to dig through in the run. Maybe that'll help keep them happier.

Happier stuff; I had 5 chicks hatch this morning. 3 are from my favorite hen, so hopefully I'll have at least one girl from her. I keep forgetting how cute chicks are. Spent an hour just sitting watching them sleep. That was relaxing. Curious now to see how they grow up. They're all mixed up; I've no idea what breeds are in their dad. The mom's are all EE's.

Yikes!! Whew! Good thing you built that run tho, huh? Glad their safe, and they'll get used to it.
Mine are confined too, but safe, and I bring them greens, bugs and have grazing frames too.

Grats on the chickies....they can offer a zenlike focus.

Last edited:
I have called vet after vet only to find that even thr ones that do "birds" won't touch "barnyard animals. " Some have a giggle in the voice and some disdain,one receptionist at a place i went was very offensive. I was up half the night googling in a fit of desperation, I was beyond excited to find a list of vets that were willing to do outside birds. If anyone has a place they have gone or that will do outside birds please tell! I am going to make a page for us for emergencies.
Dr. Bennett he is the GR zoo Dr. and will see chickens, 133 28th st. 616-241-3651 My vet in Greenville is willing to see if he can help but has never treated chickens, they do stool samples for me and that is a help but had to ask me what they might be looking for as they don't normally get chickens

Back
Top Bottom