Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I am treating an impacted crop too, but mine is not blocked fully. A cherry pit could block the tube that leads into the actual stomach! She needs to be isolated and put on soft mash ASAP. Check her crop in the morning, see if it has properly emptied. If not anything solid she eats is getting bound up with the pit and going to get rotten in there and make her very sick. If no liquids pass........Turning a bird upside down is very risky, but may be your only solution but not without a lot of preparation and some kind of liquid/ oil substance to help it along. A vet can flush it out, but be prepared with at least $70- $100.

Here is the article I read about alkalinity and temperature changes, how it affects the organs- i'd read this for the cherry pit bird, too. Explains it better than I can!
http://birdhealth.com.au/flockbirds/poultry/diseases/crop_gizzard.html

Last edited:
Hello all, and welcome to the newcomers!

Exciting day for our family. I saw my ISA red, Jeannie, wander over to the very corner of the yard. A little bit later, after I followed her and she left. What I found made my day! Laying right there in the little nest Jeannie had made were two eggs! When my mom and brother came outside, jeannie ran up to them and started clucking repeatedly. She followed them to the corner of the yard. We walked around the bushy area and found two more! Not only Jeannie is laying, but another one of our chickens is as well. My family was so excited! By the end of the day, we had five eggs in a bowl! :)

On a different note, last weekend we went on vacation to our cottage. We had our neighbor chicken-sit, and she does a good job. But when we came back, we were told that the past two days, our Buff Orpington "Sweetie Chicken Face" was escaping! The next morning, my brother heard squawking from outside his window and saw Sweetie outside of the gates blocking the chickens from the front yard! Arg!

Does anyone in Michigan have white, curly breasted Sebastapol goslings for sale? I'm in the middle of the mitten.

Laurie

Looking for porcelain d'uccles. will consider chicks, hatching eggs or breeding stock. Located near Kalamazoo (SW) but have some future trips planned to Traverse City, Battle Creek, Grand Rapids and Zeeland if anyone is along those routes.

Back
Top Bottom