Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

My little hunting blind is coming along, got most of the carpet installed and picked up a couple outdoor cushions on clearance.

The roof is on! This bonus sheet of steel came with our order of red steel for the run in shed. Just a little trim work to do and some strips of rubber to lay over the opening above the windows, to keep the rain out, and then on to painting!

Last edited:
up a load of sand to fill in the ponds we acquired this week. And he moved black dirt to do the same thing for the side yard. So nice to see some things crossed off the to do list.
I need a tractor

I had a 6ft long piece of 5ft high, welded wire 2x4 left over buried that on the inside of the area of the run were the huge wood chuck kept digging under. seems to have stopped him, also put up an electric wire about a ft. off the ground
you can use Ivermechtin any time, use an eye dropper or syringe I use about 1cc then spray liquid 7's on the roosts and all cracks in the coop. works for me.....according to Dr. Fulton you do not need to toss the eggs, I do not sell them though, just use them my self

like the hunting shed very nice.

@snowflake
Thanks. That's what I was thinking...syringe or eye dropper. Have the supplies for sanitizing the coop...

Last question. Should I re-sanitize the coop after 7 days when in case mite eggs hatch?
I've read so much on what to do that my head is spinning. Tend to stick to advice from everyone on this thread, though....

Thanks all for the suggestions. The coop in question is now abandoned due to lack of occupants. I may wait to replace my girls until spring but will keep those ideas in mind. Might take it all down and go BIG in the spring. Thank God my "looker" coop is secure and sound...and as for the fox..I got plans for him as well.

@birdbraineddan

Advice on treating the chicken mite issue please.
I am not gonna be able to do the full coop/pen cleaning & sanitizing until Wednesday.
My plan is to use Ivermectin for the birds.
1. Can I treat the birds prior to coop cleaning?
2. I have heard 5 drops/bird...but how much is a drop? Any ideas on how best to administer?
3. Should I use less on the 22 week pullets?
4. Do I have to throw away eggs & for how long?

Thanks for any help :D

You can administer anytime. Just be aware you will have hatching critters if you don't get all the eggs. Technically I don't think it's possible to get them all. 3 drops a standard bird, 2 bantam. I have given chicks a drop, I'd go by size. I have also done a drop extra if I find a bird really infested. Don't worry if you do get a bit more on somebody. My understanding is it will not hurt them, they just don't need it. You don't have to toss eggs because it doesn't get passed like some meds. I use an eye dropper and find it works better than a syringe. I have a large flock so I go out in the morning before they are out. I catch each bird, put drops on their back and toss them outside to keep track of who has been done. They tell you retreat every 10 days but I have done it sooner if I saw more mites hatching. If I remember correctly it is still active up to 3 days after you administer it, someone else may remember.

I need a tractor 

Sad thing is I was not for buying it originally.

For debugging your coop, you might consider a Hot Shot Pest Strip

I would not leave it in the coop all the time, but would maybe close the coop tight with one in it for the day, leaving the chickens outside, and repeat it weekly until the bugs are gone. It works on a vapor basis, so will not work outdoors, and you should air out of the coop once you open it back up. Store it in a tightly sealed ziplock bag between times.

My BYC is broken. Right know it says I have one subscription but when I click it three threads are marked as unread. But even when I read them it doesn't work :/. Am I only one with this issue?

Back
Top Bottom