Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

yesss.gif
Well, it took all of 4 minutes to integrate the boys last night. We put the dog crate in the door opening, opened the door, and out walked the roosters, just like they belonged there. This morning, Travis is out crowing his head off and showing the girls where the treats are. Spartacus is still in the coop watching the layers.
That's awesome!

Hi all I am less than a month old to BYC and chicken farming. Are any of you local to me in SW Michigan? I have 3 hens. 2 Isa Browns and 1 White Leghorn. I am looking for a couple of Rhode Island Red chicks 2 girls and 1 gentleman. I have settled on this breed as the one I think will be best for us after researching many of them. Do any of you raise them? Know personal pros and cons to this breed? What is your favorite breed and why?
Welcome!!! I am in Northwest Ohio by Harrison Lake State Park. I have a variety of birds for egg color. I have 2 RIRs and 4 Leghorns. They are good birds. Yesterday one of the leghorn hens (I have no roos) sounded the alarm for a predator in the sky. The first time I heard one of the leghorns do this. All the hens took cover and stayed put until the all clear was given. It was amazing to watch. The RIRs are a little bossy. But they have done the same taking the protector role. Good Luck!

Over the years i noticed some seek out attention, some don't. I kept the pests, spoil them, they get underfoot and pester me food or not. If i don't pick up blue he will jump up on me! Our "free range" is us walking around together. When we have had enough i lead them back to their house and they go on in.... they all like held and will snuggle their neck to mine and will bump into my hand when petted or held, like a cat. These are the birds that keep me into chickens, they are not suited for a normal flock. These ones also get dr care if i can't figure a problem. Blue is now a $200 rooster! But out of 6 years he is only the second roo i have owned that i can put my face to his. (He likes to fix my hair)
Thanks for sharing that. I didn't know chickens would jump on me but I have had 2 hens do this just this week! One of my Marans did it once a couple days ago an one of the SLW has done that three times in the last 2 days. The last time I let her sit there on my shoulder and she was just content to be there. Then just after that yesterday when I was taking care of the cats one jumped on me and would get down. He hasn't done that in over a year! My hens don't snuggle but I do notice a couple who like more attention than just food sometimes.

I'm glad I got the heated dog dishes out for the chickens and bunnies yesterday!! It is COLD out there!!! Dropped below freezing last night, and the rest of the week will be the same. Thinking about bringing the batams into the heated garage again. If it's anything like last winter, they will definately will be in the cozy garage.
Hope all of you got things winterized before this cold hit!! Stay warm..

yep, feeling a little more prepared for this winter over last year.. not that we weren't ready for winter... we just weren't ready for THAT winter.

While I haven't completed everything I need to do before winter, with the wood I hauled and stacked today I think I have my old friend already. I have 15 face cord stacked in a basement room adjacent to his furnace. Plus I have stacked another 10 face cord in his garage. While I will continue to cut, the pressure to get his winter supply in is over.

Tomorrow one of my brothers and I will be taking Granny to Great Lakes National Cemetery to have my father's cremains interred in the columbarium. It will be much more comforting for her to know she can visit his gravesite anytime she wants. The Kentucky Veterans cemetery is a beautiful place but was just to far away.

Well my cup of coffee is just about finished so I had better get outside and try to finish covering the chicken's run. I have 3 sides enclosed and most of the top covered and just a small area of top remains. I have a 4x7' piece of plexiglass that I'm using this year which will allow some additional light into the run.

The winter of 2008/09 I didn't have the run covered and going out to shovel snow from it was a task I hope to never repeat.

Here's my new boy I bought. He's being shipped in from SD and should be here tomorrow or Friday. He will be a great addition to my pet quality hens to pretty up the babies they produce.

Back
Top Bottom