Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

morning everyone...hope everyone had a great easter...got myself an easter present... finished the hoop coop...that is such a solid design...need to make a few corrections on the second one...and ill have it down...see yah
Now that you have it finished you can bring it over Anand drop it ofc any ol time. As misfitmorgan said, our first is finished, and as you said a couple of small adjustments for the subsequent generations.

Does anyone have bantam partridge wyandotte chicks or hatching eggs available? I am near Kalamazoo and wanting to add a new line to my flock. Last year I sold all my chicks except for one rooster and I need something to breed him to......My original stock is out of Ohio.

Another question: Does anyone have any issues with dark cornish bantams not laying at all? I had a trio and a pair last year. Finally sold the pair this spring because I wasn't getting any eggs and wouldn't you know it but found an egg in the box when I handed them over to their new owner!

I have a couple questions. I'm new to this site, and I'm looking for a couple answers, I live in the city if Jackson, Michigan & don't know what the limits are to having chickens. I could like to have a couple for eggs, Thanks in advance!

It's best to call your city/township and ask about ordinances. Most cities don't allow chickens, but more and more cities are starting to allow hens.

Looks good birdman... I need me one of those:)
Yep it looks great. I can't wait to get mine delivered... right birdman?
wink.png
jk

When talking with my oldest son tonight I ask him to keep the leaf lard for me from the next few hogs he butchers. The the next time I go to Missouri I will wet render it. Leaf lard is difficult to purchase these days and when you can find it it is quite expensive; however, it is the best type of oil to use for pastries.

Tonight we only had hamburgers, but they were from beef my son raised and I butchered and the difference in taste from that of store bought beef almost makes it seem like they are from two different animals. Then a few minutes ago we each had a slice of cheese cake that Hope had made. For the topping we used raspberry freezer jam.

As I sat here sated and content I initially thought how lucky we are. I then realized that luck had nothing to do with it. It was all because we had elected to make as much of our food as possible and thereby control the quality of the food we are eating. What seems like a lot of work when you are doing it becomes nothing compared to the satisfaction and enjoyment you derive from the end result.

Last edited:
We're putting 1/4" drywall over our plaster in the living room this week. Busy week is busy. I had originally hoped to restore the plaster but it's just too far gone to do it in any type of time effective manner. Being that this plaster is 114 years old, I suppose it's no surprise.

Anyway, one wall hung, 3 to go. I've never done drywall before so this has been a most interesting experience. It sure does make the room look different already though, I can't imagine it all completed and painted.

The chickens are still growing; they're 6 weeks and 4 weeks (EE's). Man do they eat a lot now! I burned through a 20 lb bag of chick starter in a little under 3 weeks. I picked up a 50lb bag tonight to finish em up with.

Hope everyone's doing well.

I've got to quit spending so much time away from here - I can't catch up on all of the posts!!!

Congrats Farmerboy and Grace!!

Anyone have experience with Midget White turkeys? Do they integrate well with chickens, ducks, etc.? Thinking about adding a few to my flock . . .

What a gorgeous day! I worked outside for most of it. Finally got the springtime clean-up done for the dog poo. What a job! Next weekend, I am tackling the big coop (weather permitting) and hopefully getting a brooder coop ready. A local teacher had a very successful hatch from my chickens last year so contacted me again. She doesn't have anyone to take the chicks this time, though, so they are coming back to me when they are done in the classroom. At least they should be well educated, lol. I have been heroically resisting the chicks at Family Farm and Home every week. Hard as it may be . . .

I hope everyone is well and had a wonderful Easter weekend.
frow.gif

Back
Top Bottom