Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Good Morning everyone! Here's my little story:

This last Monday, the first warm/hot day getting into the 80s here. BF and I had the coop open, the girls were mostly in the run and in the coop. It was in the afternoon, so the hottest part of the day. The coop gets full sun, and when the big door is opened to let them come free range it faces West, and so the afternoon sun can pound it. I observed the girls were sunbathing but also panting. I was thinking "Why don't they move to a cooler part of the yard if they're hot? And also, it's only early May. It's going to get much hotter." But really, they might not know where to go yet. And then I saw the little one, Taco, doing something that really scared me: She was standing (in the direct sun, silly thing) but her wings drooped away from her body AND she was panting. I grabbed her and took her a few feet to the shade where the breeze is nice. Put her on the ground in front of me and held her wings out so she could cool down. After a minute or so she stopped panting. BF told me that another chicken was acting like Taco, so I grabbed her and did the same thing. Then another. They all responded pretty well. And when I let them free they stayed in the shaded area and quickly resumed acting like happy chickens. We figured the coop was probably too hot, so we propped open the egg collection door. (Extra info: Their combs are still small and they really don't have wattles yet, so they can't cool that way. We'd had the pop door open since morning, and we do have holes drilled for ventilation, which I'd thought in combination would be adequate. Apparently not, at least in our afternoon sun.) And so the moral of my story is this: Your birds CAN overheat, even in mild May weather. Ventilation is critical. I've been wanting to share this story for all the new chicken keepers I see in this thread, as this is my first year with chickens also and I don't want anyone's birds lost to the mentality "meh, good enough."

Going forward, we're going to augment the ventilation in the coop. We're sure to check on the girls especially in the afternoon heat, and when we let them roam we prop open the egg collection hatch to let the coop cool. The huge maple across the street will help with shade once the leaves mature. We'll probably procure a shade structure of our own as well. I hope my story helps someone's chickens stay happy and comfortable.
caf.gif

Can chickens eat asparagus. I just moved into this house and have it growing wild in my ditcH. I didn't know it was there and I found it yesterday but it got to big so instead of letting it go to waste I figured I would give it to them if it's ok

It helps, also, to plant some bushes that they can hide under. Watch what you plant, tho. They like to get some of them.

Don't know if they can eat asparagus or not. Try gooling it.

Good point Hope, chickens are much more susceptible to heat than they are to cold. Spring and fall can be a little trickier especially with a small coop, and temperature regulation may involve opening and closing vents and windows at different times of day, or on different days.

Got my flock in Sept of 2013....freaked out when I saw them panting with wings out.
Put out wide shallow pans of ice water and got them to stand in it, really helped.
I have tons of windows and it doesn't help much as there is no shade on the coop building.
I put up a shade cloth my first summer and it helps some.
Thinking about putting up some insulation on the south roof and wall and the west wall above coop enclosure,
luckily the coop itself is only part of the building so won't have to protect insulation from birds.

Just put shade cloth up again this week, going to shade more of run this year too.
You do learn to watch their behavior, they can wings out pant and still be fairly active, it's when they stop moving and show no interest in eating treats that it's time to go to further extremes like the cool bucket of water dunk.

Got the coop home. It was quite the process. We put it up on the back of my truck (8ft beds are great) . I was able to close the tailgate and all that, fit perfect. took it nice and easy home. Then we lowered it down onto my trailer and hauled it back to the back yard area with the four wheeler. It's now in place, waiting for a good cleaning. I think I may break out my power washer for that. Then, once it's cleaned up, we'll give it a coat of barn paint and be stylin'. Eventually I will build them a run, but for now they'll wander about.

As far as the area underneath, the chicken wire is actually gone from there. I was thinking I might turn it into some kinda storage space or something.

I'll snap some photos later on when it's raining a bit less. My "waterproof" boots are soaked through :p

Got the coop home. It was quite the process. We put it up on the back of my truck (8ft beds are great) . My "waterproof" boots are soaked through :p
Yes they are and that's why I kept my farm truck when I bought a new one with the shorter bed!

LOL, waterproof, ha ha! Been there - doing that...

I am glad to hear that!! And you're probly right-- lumber is not cheap. Altho I did find some fairly ok 2x4s on the cull cart last year at Orange Box. I think I paid $0.26 for 10-footers. I mentioned Opa bcz if I'm recalling correctly, I think he built @preciouskitty 's... Very nice. You might want to consider a lime wash inside before you move them in, just in case.

I am relocating mine to a different area soon. Will be a 55' x ~85' pasture, a puddle, and my tractor coop inside that. Right now the girls have got sand over landscape fabric, and I do believe they get bored without worms.
Holly ~ what type of fencing are you using for the pastured area?

Anyone got any ideas as to why my hens have decided to single out one of my girls and peck on her? they've all been together nearly a year and have always gotten on fine, but for some reason the last few days have taken to pouncing on and pecking at one of the flock in particular. It usually only happens when I put out treats/scraps for them in the afternoon, never been a problem before. I'm a bit of a worrywart I guess, she's not sick, is eating and drinking fine and being her usual chickeny self
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom