Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

http://www.victorygardenoftomorrow.com/gardensigns/victory-garden-sign
vgot-v-posters-front-06-29.jpg

I don't know anything about this group but I like the signs that they make. Just too rich for my moth-eaten purse.

Last edited:
Wonders what the heck... "composite aluminum and polyethylene"...is?
I'm still here...I work in the sign industry. It's also called alupanel and it's two .010 pieces of aluminum with pvc plastic sandwiched in the middle. Has a exterior lifespan of about 5 years. Must have a vinyl decal for the graphics, so not screen printed on the substrate.

Hope all are well...I am busy enjoying this weather but not crazy I have to clean chickens so much because they are staying inside more and it's not freezing. Oh well, I will take the extra cleaning as this was a year I wanted a snow break....funny how that happens!

I live in southwestern michigan and there is a hawk that has showed up and i was wondering if it could cause a threat to my 6 chickens.
P.S. we live in the woods and there is some tree cover but i believe it could still land

Hawks are my number one predator here in the woods. They are also illegal to shoot as they are a protected species. The best thing to do is offer protection, or prepare for losses.
Good luck, I hope the hawks stay away!

Hawks are my number one predator here in the woods. They are also illegal to shoot as they are a protected species. The best thing to do is offer protection, or prepare for losses.
Good luck, I hope the hawks stay away!
I wish hawks were the only thing I had to worry about...either way keep your flock safe....good luck

Last edited:
I live in southwestern michigan and there is a hawk that has showed up and i was wondering if it could cause a threat to my 6 chickens.
P.S. we live in the woods and there is some tree cover but i believe it could still land
As long as you have plenty of places for the girls to duck in under to hide, they should be pretty good. Simple stuff just like outdoor furniture, wheelbarrows, dog houses and anything else that would all a chicken to duck in under to hide would be what you need to for them to hide out when a hawk shows up in the local airspace.

As long as you have plenty of places for the girls to duck in under to hide, they should be pretty good. Simple stuff just like outdoor furniture, wheelbarrows, dog houses and anything else that would all a chicken to duck in under to hide would be what you need to for them to hide out when a hawk shows up in the local airspace.
Or you could just plant one of the farmers' most difficult pest plants....multiflora roses..... Photos are all from google images.
I like them a lot for protection of my chickens against hawks. A lot of farmers cringe when I tell them that I plant them to provide cover for my chickens. Generally speaking they are difficult to get rid of once you have them.

The thorns are all curved downward toward the base of the plant making it difficult to even brush past them without getting hung up.

This is almost impenetrable by hawks.

Extremely thick brushy plants, with lots of thorns, making it almost impossible to wade through without some type of protective clothing

Good anti-hawk cover for chickens.

Here are some taking over a field.

Goats really like the leaves

I am devastated to report that my flock of 4 ducks was attacked this evening by what looked to be a fox. I've already lost one (my khaki that started laying today) and I currently have the remaining 3 in a bin treating wounds and hoping to stave off infection. The poor khaki girl died in my arms as I held her and tried to save her. I don't know what to do with her now, I don't want to eat her.

I'm so sorry to hear about your losses! It's always so hard to lose animals.

Back
Top Bottom