Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Need some help this is my first winter with chickens and after our first snow fall I have snow in the run and the girls aren't to sure of it. Attached is a picture of my coop. Do most people just use clear tarps or what is best to put up to block the snow from getting in?
[/quote
This is my first winter too. We covered the top of our run with galvanized steel and have a thick trap wrapped around two sides. Pretty much snow free so far.
I was wondering about using a heat lamp just for those few horrible nights we sometimes get. I talking like those below zero nights. Does anyone do this? Is it a horrible idea? We still have the heat lamp hanging in there from when they were chicks and use it as a night light for 2 hours each night to get the ladies to go in for bed (initially they were afraid of the dark coop). So turning it in for the odd below zero night would be super easy but I've read it's a bad idea. Thoughts?

Somehow I typed in that quote...still figuring how to use this forum from my phone, lol.

Last edited:
Ah the winter is here issues...

A covered run needs to be able to handle any snow load (heavy rain too). So a cover that slopes is very good. It can be solid material or tarps. The structure needs to sturdy, very sturdy please. Knock the snow off if it gets really heavy.

Wind breaks are a very good idea for the run. Tarps and plywood work but straw bales are much better, IMO. Stack them 2 or 3 high to block the prevailing wind. Make them into a maze for a chicken playground and shelter from avian predators.

Heat lamps are unnecessary. The risk of fire is just too great. Besides chickens are a lot hardier than most people think. But if you need that peace of mind for yourself then make certain that all electrical cords are secure and can't be moved by the chickens. Heat fixtures should be triple secured by real hardware not zip ties or string. Use chain, wire rope, or carabiners. Bulbs need to be covered so a chicken can't touch it and set their feathers on fire.
Heated waterers are fine as long as the power source is secure and safe. Cookie tin heaters seem to be in fashion for warming the water trough.

There are commercial heaters and waterers available but I won't comment on them until I am a paid spokesmodel.
big_smile.png

So good luck out there in the cold. Stay warm and don't worry. Chickens are pretty resilient creatures and they don't worry nearly as much as we do.

We got 5" of snow last night....more to come so they say.
Was nice and fluffy light shoveling off the decks,
but the ground is warm so snow much 'heavier' there.
Had to push it off the driveway because thrower would not throw it.
Luckily got it to throw up near busy road so I could get out,
because I was almost out of gas for the tractor.

Nice that it didn't stick to mesh run roof,
and shoveling a path in the run on the new deep litter
was not as bad as I thought it might be.
Water heater working well, now that temps have dropped.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1144467/waters-frozen/20#post_17831909

Chickens are mostly hiding in the 'under run' behind the 'glass foyer' wind break,
or inside the coop-crowded in there this year,
they don't like walking on that white stuff much.

I put roofs on most of the runs last year and wind breaks up for the winter. They definitely don't like walking in the white stuff. Last year I shoveled a path for them to the woodshed where they like to dust bath, but I'm not going to do that if we keep getting 4+inches per day. We have about 8-10 inches right now and are supposed to get another 6-8 by Monday... on a brighter note, I might actually be able to break out the snowshoes this year.

Do most people just use clear tarps or what is best to put up to block the snow from getting in?
Today my husband is putting a tarp over the hardware cloth top of our chicken run. I put some straw bales along the run walls to help keep snow out. But I wonder if we really even need to bother; our chickens seem horrified by the snow (it's their first winter) and refuse to come out of their cozy coop.
1f606.png
Chickens are mostly hiding in the 'under run' behind the 'glass foyer' wind break, or inside the coop-crowded in there this year, they don't like walking on that white stuff much.
What a nice large run you have for your chickens.
Wind breaks are a very good idea for the run. Tarps and plywood work but straw bales are much better, IMO. Stack them 2 or 3 high to block the prevailing wind. Make them into a maze for a chicken playground and shelter from avian predators.
That is what I am doing in our duck yard because it is very large and and has no roof:
I am just making a few little straw bale wind breaks here and there for them (here is one I made near a corner):
I really think I am doing all these winter preparations more for my own peace of mind than because my birds actually desire them! The ducks, for instance, only go into that nice house my husband took considerable time and effort to build for them to lay their eggs and to eat. Otherwise they just sleep out in the duck yard at night and swim in the pond all day, even in these cold temperatures:
They just walk out on the ice to where the pond hasn't frozen yet and dive right in! Brrrr

Last edited:
Try taking some warm water with epsom salts in it and doing a warm compress on that area twice a day. Epsom salts are very soothing and will reduce inflammation discharge and odor
I might try that.

Grrrrr.... at work and I only have one session on the books right now. Boring!! Just sitting here chilling and keeping an eye on the schedule.

My chickies are definitely not snow birds. I went out this morning to feed and water and collect eggs. Opened the pop door and they took one look at all the whiteness and went back in. Never even stepped out the door. I left it open for a couple of hours, but when the wind picked up I went out and closed it. Figured id let them warm it up with their body heat.

My young BOs came out for a little bit while I was trying to get the snow thrower started. I think the swearing chased them back inside.

Snow! Beautiful snow! We love the cold damp cloudy snowy weather, right? That's why we all live in Michigan! Keeping that positive attitude, and so ready for spring! Florida looks really good right now, but never mind. Mary

Back
Top Bottom