Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I moved out but the girls are at the farm yet. And I would do more laundry there at the farm if the dang washer would stop breaking down. Mom had to call a tech in again this week to take a look at it. thing wasn't working last week as well.

I happen to have a washer and dryer available. It was going to be $100 for both at the estate sale; but if you can pick them up, you can have them gratis. PM me

Hello, Fellow Michigan Chicken People! I am brand-new to keeping chickens, and brand-new to backyardchickens.com. These are some of my little ladies (there are three more, one of whom seems maybe NOT to be a lady :-/ ) . We live in West Michigan, close to Grand Haven. These girls are 13 weeks old, and the other three are 5 weeks old (and still living separately, to keep the little ones safe). They are a mixture of breeds I picked out hoping to have a peaceful flock and multi-colored eggs. I just love to watch these pretty girls tootle around, love to listen to their happy, peaceful sounds.
Chickens.JPG

I happen to have a washer and dryer available. It was going to be $100 for both at the estate sale; but if you can pick them up, you can have them gratis. PM me
I believe the service guy was in yesterday and got mom's washer going again. I didn't get a chance to talk to her today as she was out when I popped in over at the farm to check in on the girls. Belle didn't say much about it as well. Just that she was just a bit perturbed about being left home alone.

Welcome to the newbies!! Chickens are a fun pet to have. Love watching them. Their different personalities are amazing. And you can only say that to other chicken folks without getting the crazy chicken lady look from regular folks. We here understand! :lau

Hello! Your birds are lovely. What breeds do you have and where did you get them?
Oh, thank you! I think the ladies are lovely too, and I love having a few different kinds. We have two sexlinks of some sort - they were called Isa Browns, but some experts on this site have questioned whether they are real ISAs, or just some generic cross ... anyway, Isa Brown TYPE chickens, two aracaunas, two black marans, two white leghorns. The ISAs are Hester and Hattie. Aracaunas are Constance and Calliope. Marans are Dot and Doris. Leghorns are Maude and Myrtle. And then we have a pen with three younger babies who came along later ... Americaunas who started out named Petunia and Periwinkle, but Periwinkle is showing some alarming signs of being a boy, so we're calling that chicken Perry for now. And then, the darling of our flock, the fuzziest little thing, Tillie, a light brahma.
And then, because we're crazy people, we also have a group of 12 guniea fowl keets who we are raising for free range on our large property, because we've been seeing more and more ticks every year. A neighbor has them and she says that they really do a good job of patrolling for bugs, as well as alerting when visitors come, or alerting the chickens when predators fly overhead. So ... a dozen 4-week-old guineas are growing up in a temporary pen, until they're old enough to be released. They are all named Artemis, after the kids book series Artemis Fowl ...

We got the first 8 chickens from Tractor Supply Co., and everyone else from Family Farm and Home - but all of them were hatched at Townline Hatchery in Zeeland, MI.

Welcome to the newbies!! Chickens are a fun pet to have. Love watching them. Their different personalities are amazing. And you can only say that to other chicken folks without getting the crazy chicken lady look from regular folks. We here understand! :lau

You're right - we crazy chicken people need this "support group". I am far more amused by them than I had anticipated being. I just thought that we would enjoy the country feel of having some birds tootling around the property, and enjoy having some fresh eggs. But the girls all have such different, funny, silly personalities! Every family member spends a certain amount of time every day out there talking to the chickens.

Back
Top Bottom