Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I've had chickens over the past 4 years, but currently I do not have any. I'd like to start another flock, but something that will tolerate the Michigan winters. It would be great if I could get some chicks or hatching eggs from someone close. I live in southwest lower Michigan. I've heard good things about the Chanteclers as well as the Buckeyes, but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks!

Hey, finally found my state’s thread! Hope you’re not sick, I recently had the flu! I mean, Michigan is one of the more sick states, so...

Anyway...

Quick fact/story -

This is Wings.
4D130A7F-6666-4EBF-BCDD-D870D81D2AF7.jpeg

He is a meanie (that for some reason I still have-). Every day I get to the farm I have to protect my legs- or defend myself with my foot. (I have video proof if anyone’s interested!) Either way, still love the guy! He even lets me hug him- and no, he does not even mess with my face when I’m holding him.

Also, about how it’s been so cold lately, and being on-topic of previous posts, should I be worried about some of my chickens getting frostbite? I’ve seen some of my chickens with black or white-tipped combs...

:welcome Newbies! Nice to have you!

I once had a mean rooster. He was so sweet and gentle with his ladies, but didn't like humans much. Kids and grandkids still talk about how he chased them around the house. He was the best watch dog. Whenever anyone came into the driveway, he was there. People wouldn't get out of their cars! Such sweet memories. :lau
Randy, is your finger stuck in bent position? I remember the many trips to ER to get fingers unstuck. I remember the ER doc not knowing where to put the shot in. Finger never went to sleep after 2 shots! Just told them to go ahead and give it a good pull. OUCH!!! The ortho doc told me never to go to ER with a trigger finger. They don't know enough about trigger fingers. Turns out doc gave the shot on the wrong side. Think it's suppose to be on the top of the hand, not the palm. So, go to your ortho doc if your fingers lock. It's quite painful, isn't it, when it locks. Had nine trigger finger surgeries. Good Luck on getting your hip and knee and fingers all fixed and ready to enjoy summer.

Hello and welcome to the new people. Glad you found us. Make sure to schedule June 20th for our annual Chicken Stock picnic and karaoke event.

I had a beautiful lavender orpington roo that was pretty well behaved until a dumbass neighbor turned him mean. The idiot neighbor liked to tease him when he was in the run so whenever Larry was free ranging and the neighbor stopped by, he went into attack mode.

No trips to the ER for the fingers. I know better than to trust them there. I see the PT people today and I'll get a schedule worked out. This morning was especially rough. Feels like my leg is being twisted off. Going to be on the cane today. Provided my hand can grasp it. lol

I've have good luck with getting chicks from TSC. Not everyone has. My last batch was sapphire gems. They have very large combs, I mean rooster size combs! No frostbite issues so far this winter. It has been rather mild this winter but remember that frostbite can occur when temps are even in the 40's, especially if it is damp.

I have a plan to restore some of my property to grassland/prairie habitat for pheasants and native pollinators. There are state initiatives and grants available and I'm trying to get on that bandwagon.
Received a reply today from the biologist for my county. He wants to visit me at the end of February to see what kind of plan we can come up with. If I can get the bordering land owners to join, we could have a corridor of 2 miles to work with. Then there is another 2 miles going the other way through the state land. I'm sure the DNR will help there. I'm rather excited about the project. I hope it gets the greenlight. :fl

Thank you everyone for direction in my chicken conundrum! I have another questions for my Michigan peeps...:D. Which hatchery do you use or prefer. I was thinking Meyer, since it's closer but i've never ordered through the mail, just our local feed co-op, TSC and Family Farm & Home.

Thanks!
Ome more question...has anyone here in Michigan used Hoover Hatchery? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom