Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Hog rings are set on the other side--I went every few inches instead of every ring like I did on the open side.

I've read a lot of negatives about sand in the run. To do a dust bath, do I just rake back the grass and let them use the regular dirt If not sand? I've got fairly sandy soil to begin with. I've got a 4'x4'x16" section under the coop that I figured would be their dust bath area.

Got my starter emergency kit ready: sav-a-chick electrolytes/probiotics, NutriDrench, Vetricyn spray, VetRx liquid, gauze. Anything else you would say is a must have in your emergency kit?

I was a girl scout and like to be super prepared :D

Kit sounds good.

If under coop stays dry would be good for dust bathing, if not dry it'll freeze solid.
Might add sand there and use coarse wood chipping once grass is gone on the rest of the run.

I used wood chips in half of run last year. It was an experiment to see how they would do in the heavily shaded run. They are almost completely broken down and part of the soil now.
I hope my tree-trimmer friend returns with more chips. The last loads have been used up.

I have used up all of the compost that I made. Some 30 - 50 yards is my guess. Tractor bucket is 1/2 yards and I was keeping track of the number of scoops...then got lazy and stopped counting.
Time to start a new fall compost pile.

Pile is from my veggie garden where the potatoes were growing this summer. I mounted it under them as they got higher. Only products used there were Neem oil and Diatomaceous earth but it's been at least 3 months since we did that. Probably 5 months old? I've pulled the potatoes and have compost to turn into the soil there. No black walnut.

I do also have some in corners of the garden that had nothing on them, just used for weed prevention.

Predators in my area that I have seen: bald eagle; owls; hawks; racoons; fox; coyote; and dogs. Now one more to add to the list...cougar. Yes, a big, freaking cat!
A friend captured one on her trail camera last night.

She had 2 cameras aimed at a live trap that she was using to catch a racoon. She sent me the video. It is definitely a big cat nosing around the live trap. She has it on a couple of different angles. I tried to copy the video to share but she sent it via FB and I can't figure out how to share it. She has sent the video to the DNR and the Conservation Officer for this county. I'm curious to see how they respond.

Yeah, trust me, go get both of your Shingrex shingles vaccine shots. Mom is mostly over her bout of it from december, but she still having issues with keeping her eye open yet.

But she's feeling a lot better, and went and got herself a new puppy last weekend.

120032638_10107796288816735_7815323726984474032_n.jpg

meet Miss Penny Lane. She's a mini Sheltie.
Sweet puppy!!! Both my husband I got both our shingle vaccines! Never want to deal with shingles again! It's been 2 years and I have 2 teeth that still have nerve pain.

Pile is from my veggie garden where the potatoes were growing this summer. I mounted it under them as they got higher. Only products used there were Neem oil and Diatomaceous earth but it's been at least 3 months since we did that. Probably 5 months old? I've pulled the potatoes and have compost to turn into the soil there. No black walnut.

I do also have some in corners of the garden that had nothing on them, just used for weed prevention.
Needs to be more wood chips than dirt......got pics?

I tried to copy the video to share but she sent it via FB and I can't figure out how to share it.
Maybe copy URL?

Back
Top Bottom