Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

It was a good day in the hen house today. 7 XL eggs, 1 from each mature hen. Plus 3 pullet eggs as well. So 3 of 7 young hens are at POL.

The young cockerel was being a jerk again. The mature roo has a gimpy leg and can't run so the young buck can get away quickly. Well he started acting up at lock down time and chased a couple of hens out of the coop. They circled back and went inside but the cockerel was still out in the run. So I shut up the coop and left the young cock outside. Let's see how he likes sleeping alone in the cold.

Only people in Michigan get "the thumb area" as a location. I was driving with an out of state friend on the east side and there was a sign that said "Thumb Area" something or other. He laughed. I told him it was really a thing. He laughed again. I held up my hand to show him what it meant. He looked thoughtful, nodded, and said, "Oh."

Don't be sorry, Mary. We always take a chance when raising roosters. Big boy is a perfect gentleman but Little Boy needs to learn some manners. He is just a bit too rough with the pullets and smaller birds. I'm still holding hope that he will calm down some after this "teenage" phase. I think in a month or so I will be able to reintroduce the drop-off chicks to the regular flock. Hopefully, LB will behave.

Cold and rainy here today. I don't want to go out but I have wood to split and stack. How much I get done will depend on if the rain stops or how much I have to yell at the Lion's on TV. :barnie :celebrate:he:fl

Back
Top Bottom