Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

We got an inch or two of new snow.
My hens are out in their run a lot. It's completely wrapped in tarps, so no cold winds to contend with. They have a big tub to take their dust baths in. Leaves to scratch in. Think they are happy...
I got my Covid shot yesterday. No bad side effects. My arm is a bit sore, but got the shot in my sore arm.... :confused:

We had a deer sleeping in our yard this AM right on top of the septic tank .must be giving off some heat
HA!!
Never had that happen, thankfully, because tank is very close to house.
But it's definitely the first to clear of snow especially if it's laundry day, tank is also very close to surface

Even though we are surrounded by Lakes Michigan and Huron on almost 3 sides, we rarely get much lake effect, as the prevailing wind is from the northwest and so crosses over land. Most days we are at the edge of sun, but can see piled up grey clouds as close as the other side of the Mackinac Bridge, or we get stray flurries off of Lake Superior. BUT when the wind is from the southwest we get smacked big time - just has not happened (yet) this year. We only have about 3 inches of snow total.

At the start of the week the ice on the lake was very close to shore and not a bit solid. You could see it moving up sand down with the wave action. It was maybe 50 to 100 feet out from shore. This morning the ice was out a couple of hundred yards. On the way home from work, the ice was 2 or 3 times farther out. It turned very cold very quickly. I'm curious to see if the winter festival known as "Shanty Days" will occur. I usually volunteer to help man the beer tent and I'm looking forward to doing so again.

The chickens have a new friend. So far, they've eaten off his eyes and mouth, and taken bites out of his belly. We'll see if they take him down before the sun and warm air can melt him.

Attachments

• IMG_E0655.JPG
    IMG_E0655.JPG
    785 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom