Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

All alive and well. No fried chicken yet. I am sorry but had medical appointments yesterday and doing other crazy things I wish other people do and not me, like cooking and be so worried about everything and everyone. The knuckelheads are all fine. The youngest one is the funny one because decided always to sleep standing up until she falls down. I did changed the bulb from a 250W to a 125W and it has been on a steady 87. At night is when most difficult because I cannot breath if the heater is on in the house at higher than 60 and wake up sweating like a construction worker. But the girls are doing fine. I also changed brooder to an aluminum big container like those to water cows. I also have a pet playpen I found on Amazon (48") which I will cut the bottom part (what a waste) so when they are all feathered, I can bring them out for a bit in the warm times to just get a glance at the great Michigan outdoors. I also had to care for the "pasty butt" on 3 of the chicks.
I also had a bit of time to take them individually to check them well and take a profile picture and name them, lol The coop had to be half undone to make a foundation under them just in case. They keep telling me about chicken wire for floor but I am not satisfied with that. I still think I need the mesh one instead but will see. Will be working outside today to complete this and have it ready for the teens when they are ready. (right, like if any teenager is ever ready)
Hope to be back later tonight but in the meantime, will leave some pictures of the coop and the girls. 20210304_125828.jpg 20210305_072324.jpg
This is Phoebe 20210305_072535.jpg
This is Monica
20210305_072625.jpg
This is Rachel
20210305_073524.jpg
I think this is a boy whom I should not have but I named him Ross
20210305_072836.jpg
This is Blanch
20210305_074112.jpg
And this is sleepy head Sophia

I also have a pet playpen I found on Amazon (48") which I will cut the bottom part
Confused, why cut out the bottom, got a pic or link?

I did changed the bulb from a 250W to a 125W and it has been on a steady 87.
Good! Larger tub is good too.
87 right under light but cooler at other end?

They keep telling me about chicken wire for floor but I am not satisfied with that.
Apron is better than mesh floor(which can damage feet).
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208

That's a Lot of eggs! Hope you can use some!
About 3 days worth. I have a couple of customers for the eggs. And my dog likes eggs for treats.

@Dreamzchaser I think it's a good idea to get the chicks used to being handled. It makes it easier to handle them as adults if they need medical treatments, mite checks, or any other close up observation.

Going to try to take advantage of this nice sunny day. Temperature is at 30 right now and I'm still on my morning coffee. So I go out in a little bit.

So there was a big fire to the south of me, on the other side of the lake. 300 acres burned after a hot 4-wheeler caught the field on fire. Three fire departments, the sheriff, the road commission, and the DNR put it out on Thursday afternoon. Then it flared up again overnight so they had to do it again. I wouldn't have guessed that it was dry enough for a field fire but what do I know? :confused: At least there was no damage and the fields will recover quickly.

Went to TSC, and was easily able to pass by the chicks today. It's too early! Maybe in mid- April, or later, but not now. And they have those chick brooders, old style type, good for commercial use as at the stores. Also they take much less retail space, helpful for them too.
Time to let the chickens out, and get something done outside. Warmer weather coming up this week, yahoo!
Mary

Confused, why cut out the bottom, got a pic or link?

Good! Larger tub is good too.
87 right under light but cooler at other end?

Apron is better than mesh floor(which can damage feet).
Good examples of anti-dig apron installation.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/wire-around-coop.1110498/#post-17093528
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/new-coop-project.1169916/page-2#post-18481208
Arrt, was going to get this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...0FOAU&linkId=e1baf7d96f0deeca6822dd56f34ac14b

but changed my mind. Wanted to cut the bottom so I can get them out in the yard and let them pick on the bare ground while I sit outside and drink a cup of coffee.

the tub is like this one but did not paid that much. Got it from one of my neighbors who has cattle and horses.

https://www.farmandfleet.com/produc...CuCPgUKi59edxgvnOHFzyB4yT3p3eA6UaApD4EALw_wcB

The temp is between 80 and 87. I just move the tub once it get to the highest and then back in when at 80.

Yes, it is an apron around the coop floor. They dug and placed cement blocks 4wide/8Tall/x16L about 2inch into the ground leaving 4 up to place the coop on top. That will give me instead of 57" height to 79" That is with wood over the block. The coop was very tiny compared to the picture once it was put together. I was very disappointed. I should have had the whole thing built and not store bought. but it is ok for now. The girls are in the guest room. I think my living room is getting the chicken smell, :lau
ok, Need to go back to work.

Ya gotta love new chicken keepers. We have all been there with a tonne of questions and an abundance of worry about raising them properly. Heck, I'm still there as I wonder how to tell the duck eggs from the chicken eggs.

I got a lot done today since it was so nice out. Lots of piddly chores here and there. The big job was putting down pallets for a path to the garage. Still need to put pallets down to the coop but I'm pooped. Time for a beer and unwind a bit. Feeling my age a bit too much. :old

The "get things done" bug bit my husband. He was very productive today. I lent a hand, but he didn't need much help.

Very pretty today. Supposed to have 3 more, and up to 60 on Tuesday. Goodbye snow. See ya in about 8 months, ok?

Compost still frozen. I can stab the pitchfork in about 1 inch. I have never wanted to turn a compost pile as much as I do these days. Soon, soon.

Hey guys, I do not have a pictured but the final product will be:
a line into the dirt to put cement block on it (4"wide) then place the mesh wire and then place the block so it holds it in place. It will be only in the outside with 30" outside. Then on top of the block, the coop will be placed on top of boards. Hope I explained myself good enough so someone can tell me if it is a good idea. I liked the apron on the pictures on the thread that Arrt mentioned but I am dealing with someone who is terrible at directions. I think is opposed to female authority, :he :lau

Ya gotta love new chicken keepers. We have all been there with a tonne of questions and an abundance of worry about raising them properly. Heck, I'm still there as I wonder how to tell the duck eggs from the chicken eggs.

I got a lot done today since it was so nice out. Lots of piddly chores here and there. The big job was putting down pallets for a path to the garage. Still need to put pallets down to the coop but I'm pooped. Time for a beer and unwind a bit. Feeling my age a bit too much. :old
I gave up all alcohol over 15 yrs ago. I sure need a cold one about right now, 🍻

Back
Top Bottom