Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

When it gets down to 10 F and below, the condensation from breathing makes the hairs in my nose freeze when I inhale. Long ago, when I was in high school and had to wait for the bus, I told a little girl that "I could smell how cold it was." I took a deep sniff, and said, "It's about 10 degrees out."

She was very impressed. She pointed me out to her seat mate and said, "See her? She can smell how cold it is!"
:lau
:lau

12 F with NW wind and snow squalls covering everything with fine powder.
I began working on my coop build today, out of a 6x10 one pc fiberglass out building, heavy thing. Got it gutted and marked a few window, doors but got too cold. Good day for a warm blanket, cup of hot tea and a good book.

The chickens were not at all happy with me this morning. I'd left them with only soaked feed and then didn't go out until an hour after daybreak. They were trying to chisel the feed out and not making much progress.

That answers the question of whether I've been interpreting what I thought was "happy" correctly. I kinda wondered if they are always happy to see me, then maybe I wasn't reading them correctly. It is obvious I was.

Sorry, chickens.

It was 3 degrees when I got up. Now it's 23, no wind, and some sun! The chickens all came outside. I think when there was snow on the ground, they wanted to stay in. Or maybe they got cabin fever?

More snow blows in than I thought would through the ridge vent/monitor at the peak of the run. Last year with the heavy duty tarps, very little snow came in, and only when the wind was from a certain direction. I may need to do something up on the peak next spring; we'll see.

I do have an idea to keep south winds from flying through the coop. This is looking through the coop, to the south (before the add on to the right side).

IMG_E0629.JPG

There is HC (and screen, since removed) on the inside of the "spokes" of the window. The spokes are roughly 1"x3/4". I have filter material over the bottom half now, stapled to the inside of the spokes.

When we were having 40+mph winds out of the southwest, snow was blowing in. So I stapled an empty feed bag over the outside of the window. It stopped the gale, but there is plenty of air exchange, as the 1" gap made by the spokes allows plenty of movement. So I think next winter I'll get a piece of acrylic or plex to screw over about 3/4 of the window.

Even though the filter material I used is white, it does cut down on some of the light. Clear would be better.

That is generous ventilation for summer, but far more than necessary or wise for winter, so it sounds like you have done a good job modifying it. A clear panel that lets in light in the winter but can be removed in the summer for better ventilation sounds ideal.

Just think, down South they have open coops with only a roof and limited wall coverage! Something that would only work for about 4 months here.

I added up the estimated square footage of my ventilation. The original coop has two of those windows, about 4.5 sf. Plus the pop door, and the people door, which is almost always open all day. Plenty for 4 birds.

I added on to the coop (about 15 sf), the flock (3 birds), and the run (64 sf). So I wanted more ventilation, and added probably another 5 sf. Go big, huh? Because, you know, chicken math...

12 F with NW wind and snow squalls covering everything with fine powder.
I began working on my coop build today, out of a 6x10 one pc fiberglass out building, heavy thing. Got it gutted and marked a few window, doors but got too cold. Good day for a warm blanket, cup of hot tea and a good book.
I like a warm blanket, hot cocoa and a good book.....

Back
Top Bottom