Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

I just figured out why asparagus should be transplanted when it is one year old. :he that I didn't figure it out sooner.

The seeds I planted last year did well. This spring, on one of the oh-so-transient warm days, we saw the very tops of the first spears just barely peeking through. Every one-year-old plant had at least one or two. Some had three. Not a single spear for any of the asparagus plants I transplanted two years ago.

So, when it froze and snowed again, it froze that spear. If I had transplanted it properly (deeper than the seedlings grow), it would still be safely underground.

Now I have to decide whether to try transplanting them while they are not dormant or to try transplanting them as older, bigger plants. I don't like these choices.

Hi Eggwards, and welcome to the Michigan thread :)

If they are standing around all fluffed out and not moving busily about foraging, they may be too cold.

Just looking at your run, have you read up on run security? the fencing may be not up to protecting your birds from predators. Always a big learning curve with your first birds.
Oh hi! fyi that is not their run security, that was how I had them hanging out off to the side while building the actual run security, which is still not even 100% done, sorry I missed this comment! I've been a very busy builder, here's an update. The learning curve is very real.

IMG_20220426_080942639.jpg

I don't know how to put in a link. Sorry. My husband does hang it, but I would prefer if he wouldn't, personally. It's a bother to unhook from the carbiner clip and then find a place to set it down to fill.

I don't know how to put in a link, but here is the website:
https://www.premier1supplies.com/p/heated-poultry-waterer?cat_id=227

Heated Poultry Waterer
Provides clean water to the flock year-round. Internal heater keeps water flowing in temperatures as low as -20°F.

We’ve listened to your feedback and have introduced several improvements over the previous version:
  • 3 gallon capacity
  • Secure, interlocking lid
  • Heavy-duty handle for carrying and hanging
  • Detachable cord for non-winter use

I wouldn't recommend hanging a horizontal nipple waterer.
Because...? (trying to think of the dead obvious reason @aart says this, but can't. I just know I'm going to 🤦‍♀️ when I read it...)

I really like that Premier 1 heated HN waterer... Thinking I might get one. I love the idea that the cord is removable so it is a year round deal.

Because...? (trying to think of the dead obvious reason @aart says this, but can't. I just know I'm going to 🤦‍♀️ when I read it...)

I really like that Premier 1 heated HN waterer... Thinking I might get one. I love the idea that the cord is removable so it is a year round deal.
Because they have to push pretty hard at the pins which could cause it to swing/sway.
I have a 3 gal container, I keep it full by topping off daily to keep it from being moved with vigorous pin pushing(or knocked over in a scuffle).

Back
Top Bottom