Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

Yikes! Scary stuff.
I shoveled a long path to the coop this morning, and another to the shed, this afternoon.very heavy stuff, but, I took my time. I'm no spring chicken, but it did feel good to have something physical to do
It is. I actually have to do a second shoveling of our porch today. If its small shoveling I'm fine with it. But large areas I get tired of it quickly. I'm considering tomorrow trying to shovel out some of the chicken run. The door is starting to get jammed because its compacting inside.

Just take things slow. No rush :)

I lived down near Michigan City one winter and we got 30 in of snow in a 12 hour 7:00 p.m. to 7:00 a.m. period. Now that was a lot of shoveling.

Nothing up here that the Kubota can't take care of.
I'm about 30 minutes north of South Bend... the lake effect is crazy here!

Hubs plowed the half of the driveway that the delivery trucks CAN use and not get stuck in. He also plowed me a path to the coop 🧡. The birds took a bit of coaxing to get to come out today, someone said somewhere that chickens are snow-blind, so when they see snow, they just think there is nothing there!

I also live in the boonies, but if we don't plow the drive, one of our amazing neighbors will come over and do it and it just makes us feel guilty 😂

I was going to head to Allegan with a Jeep group to do some offroad trails... but I think I'm just staying home tonight. Jeepers don't cancel runs.

I shoveled a long path to the coop this morning, and another to the shed, this afternoon.very heavy stuff, but, I took my time. I'm no spring chicken, but it did feel good to have something physical to do
I am VERY glad I put pavers just outside the run door. I have a solid surface to shovel against to get the snow out of there.
Jeepers don't cancel
...anything! :lau

My chickens couldn't care less about the snow. I always keep the pen door open in the day so they can free-range and there they were crossing the yard in 6+ inches of snow 😂 they lost their free-range privileges for now though, as last night I had to go on a search for one of my roosters and a hen, I found my rooster huddled between a pile of bricks with the hen close by but completely out in the open with no protection 🤦 This is the roosters first winter so I think he just doesn't know how to act in this much snow haha!

My chickens couldn't care less about the snow. I always keep the pen door open in the day so they can free-range and there they were crossing the yard in 6+ inches of snow 😂 they lost their free-range privileges for now though, as last night I had to go on a search for one of my roosters and a hen, I found my rooster huddled between a pile of bricks with the hen close by but completely out in the open with no protection 🤦 This is the roosters first winter so I think he just doesn't know how to act in this much snow haha!
I'm so glad you found them! My young rooster tries to entice the hens to come out in the dusting of snow in the run, but nope. They are in the coop.

Either it needs to warm up or our geese need to chill out x.x Today Gizzy who is usually tolerant with the chickens eating or even walking by her took a bite at Rosemary. Litterally Rosemary is the only chicken neither of the geese have tried to bite whether she ate with them or walked by them. I can't tell if its because the've been locked up to long and are going stir crazy because of the weather or if its because mating season. So far no goose eggs. But their definately alot crankier and Gus I swear hes hissing at me the whole time even if I take off my hood x.x

He's lucky today was way to cold and I didn't have gloves otherwise I would have picked his fat butt up. Weather is supposed to be looking nicer for Wednesday and Thursday. I might have to leave thursday for a few hours or sometime this weekend but hopefully its nice enough that the birds will want to be let out for some time. Atleast the geese to "stretch".

When I say stretch it usually means me having to look over my shoulder to make sure Gizzy doesn't fly over my head lol. While people say domestic geese can't fly Gizzy sure puts thats to the test. She's probably gets off the ground about 6 feet maybe a little more. She nearly hit the house two weeks ago.

Spring please come soon. Even though I love winter and snow I'm so ready to get the geese moved to a separate area.

It's -6. Feels like -25. It's been that way since yesterday afternoon and we look like we're not getting back into teen temps until Thursday! I don't remember this much of a sustained cold snap in the past few years.

I think I'm going to scatter food in the coop today and put a small bowl of water in there and kinda Tuck it down into the bedding so they can't dump it. Otherwise, they won't have any food or water until Thursday. Ugh but I don't really wanna go out there. It's so cold...

Back
Top Bottom