Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ooopsy, you are absolutely right. Eating eggs from birds that have been medicated is putting your family at risk. Just because you don't have a reaction to eating them doesn't mean that they are safe. Eggs hold antibotics and when you eat the egg the antibiotic is passed on to you. This can keep antibiotics from working when you do need them. If you check with the manufacturer of most medications they will advise not consuming the eggs, milk, or meat from a medicated animal for 21 days and with some they recommend 28 days. Many of the medications like Tylan were originally designed for treating cattle and while it is used effectively to treat poultry not much research has been done on the long term effect on poultry. While we all like to serve our families better quality food, eggs from the store are cheap and will not put your families long term health at risk. Eggs from medicated birds will.

Some times the best bet when you have sick birds it to just destroy your flock, sterilize all of your coops and equipment and start over. Some poultry illnesses can never be successfully treated and you run the risk of maintaining a flock of carriers that get passing the disease on for generations. Destroying a flock is a sad and often expensive proposition but so it treating sick birds constantly.

Sorry if I sound like I'm on a soapbox but we all want healthy birds and from raising chickens to be a fun and enjoyable pursuit.

Quote:
We watch out for garage sales. Last year we got 3 nice double hung vinyl windows (with screens) for $5 each. They were slightly used, but the chickens didn't care. A coat of paint and they look new! Try someplace like Restore-the Habitat for Humanity store. They have all kinds of used and new building materials. There is one in Flint, I assume some other places, too.

10233_rain_lightning.gif
This morning sure is starting off with a bang. Stay dry folks.

As much as I love a good thunder boomer.... if the power goes out my work day just got harder! I'm a facility manager and the company cannot be without power! We have huge generators for back up, but ... it would really stink if something failed today!

Looks like after the storm we have now passes, we'll clear up in lower mi.... you guys on the west and upper Mi areas are in for a long one!

Quote:
Try Craigslist. Or go to an auto salvage yard and see if they have any old truck toppers or campers. That is where I got my windows from. They were from an old, decaying truck camper. Got them free. The camper was decaying, but the windows are aluminum and glass so they were not decayed.

Quote:
I went back and looked several pages and I don't see anywhere this statement is posted.

The antiboditics has a withdrawl period of 5 days to consume the meat. I am wondering how much longer to eat the eggs, since the yolks are developing for awhile inside the hen.

Everyone does have a different approach to care for their livestock. The main goal for all is to have healthy livestock to enjoy with their families.

Quote:
I went back and looked several pages and I don't see anywhere this statement is posted.

The antiboditics has a withdrawl period of 5 days to consume the meat. I am wondering how much longer to eat the eggs, since the yolks are developing for awhile inside the hen.

Everyone does have a different approach to care for their livestock. The main goal for all is to have healthy livestock to enjoy with their families.

I went back 6 pages and couldn't find it either. It's usually 14 days, but that depends on the medication. Some stronger meds are 28 days. So, at minimum 14 days to be safe.

I'm trying to catch up on the forums today since this weather is crap still. I've been sick for the past 4 days, and I think whatever I caught is finally starting to go away. I also managed to find a part time job near the house last week. So, that's a bonus.
smile.png

The silkie chicks we hatched are doing great. The two mystery white ones, are still white. I'm thinking they might be a splash, but it's still too early to tell. I now have two broody hens to match wits with. I took Mama Silkie out yesterday to sit in a wire bottom cage. She's been broody for almost two months, and she looks ragged. I picked up some show conditioner to mix in with her feed. Hopefully, this will give her a good boost. She is mad as heck at me right now. She wants her golf balls back.

After the battle of the wits with Mama Silkie, I will atttempt to match wits with our broody pullet ( EE/RIR mix) She just started last week, and is a sneak! She tucks freshly laid eggs under her wings from other nest boxes, and carries them back to her nest to sit on. She is mean as heck too.
gig.gif

Anyway, that's what has been happening at our place, and I'm hoping the remainder of this stupid cold goes away soon.

Bluemoon

Last edited:
Morning Everyone - I've got a cute mom story to share - The foster buff orp mom, Ms. Brody (after Jane Brody) has been raising the Wellies & EE's that Sam so graciously ordered and delivered to us all! So we've had her outside the last few weeks in our original coop - a small A-frame. I've let them out occasionally to forage when I'm going to be around and did so last night - they all come running out and interact a bit with the SLW's that I got from Ellen - who by the way are BEAUTIOUS! - I then meander my way to the front of the house where I'm transplanting some plants; I can still see everyone thru the open fencing that houses the adult flock and runs between the front of the house from the backyard .....about an hour goes by and I hear this soft cooing. I look up and there's a buff orp all by her lonesome looking longingly in at the adult flock....go thru the garage, and am asking her how she got on the other side of the fencing away from her gal pals and Brewster the rooster....she comes right over to me, submits and I pick her up and put her in with her gal pals.....go back to my planting and enjoying the redesign of my garden....time to tuck everyone in.....YIKES, all of the wellies and EE's are in for the night and Ms. Brody is no where to be found. DUH - that little momma was ready to leave her babes and join the rest of the flock! I'm only hoping that she's leaving her broodiness behind! Here are a few pics that I took the other night
13163_slws.jpg

13163_000_0082_4.jpg

and of course the new pup with her gal pal....It occurred to me this morning that I'm surounding myself with females - after having 2 sons and a hubby, my time with gal pals has arrived!
big_smile.png

13163_savannah_georgie.jpg

Quote:

I went back 6 pages and couldn't find it either. It's usually 14 days, but that depends on the medication. Some stronger meds are 28 days. So, at minimum 14 days to be safe.

I'm trying to catch up on the forums today since this weather is crap still. I've been sick for the past 4 days, and I think whatever I caught is finally starting to go away. I also managed to find a part time job near the house last week. So, that's a bonus.
smile.png

The silkie chicks we hatched are doing great. The two mystery white ones, are still white. I'm thinking they might be a splash, but it's still too early to tell. I now have two broody hens to match wits with. I took Mama Silkie out yesterday to sit in a wire bottom cage. She's been broody for almost two months, and she looks ragged. I picked up some show conditioner to mix in with her feed. Hopefully, this will give her a good boost. She is mad as heck at me right now. She wants her golf balls back.

After the battle of the wits with Mama Silkie, I will atttempt to match wits with our broody pullet ( EE/RIR mix) She just started last week, and is a sneak! She tucks freshly laid eggs under her wings from other nest boxes, and carries them back to her nest to sit on. She is mean as heck too.
gig.gif

Anyway, that's what has been happening at our place, and I'm hoping the remainder of this stupid cold goes away soon.

Bluemoon

Hey Bluemoon, why don't you give your broodies a couple of babes - sounds like you have plenty- PM me if you'd like to know how we accomplished the foster mom gig!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom