Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Huston's Happy Hens :

Quote:
I went back 6 pages and couldn't find it either. It's usually 14 days, but that depends on the medication. Some stronger meds are 28 days. So, at minimum 14 days to be safe.

I'm trying to catch up on the forums today since this weather is crap still. I've been sick for the past 4 days, and I think whatever I caught is finally starting to go away. I also managed to find a part time job near the house last week. So, that's a bonus.
smile.png

The silkie chicks we hatched are doing great. The two mystery white ones, are still white. I'm thinking they might be a splash, but it's still too early to tell. I now have two broody hens to match wits with. I took Mama Silkie out yesterday to sit in a wire bottom cage. She's been broody for almost two months, and she looks ragged. I picked up some show conditioner to mix in with her feed. Hopefully, this will give her a good boost. She is mad as heck at me right now. She wants her golf balls back.

After the battle of the wits with Mama Silkie, I will atttempt to match wits with our broody pullet ( EE/RIR mix) She just started last week, and is a sneak! She tucks freshly laid eggs under her wings from other nest boxes, and carries them back to her nest to sit on. She is mean as heck too.
gig.gif

Anyway, that's what has been happening at our place, and I'm hoping the remainder of this stupid cold goes away soon.

Bluemoon

Hey Bluemoon, why don't you give your broodies a couple of babes - sounds like you have plenty- PM me if you'd like to know how we accomplished the foster mom gig!​

We thought about it, but not yet. I have 6 young boys in our spare building ( that's where broodies will go in the near future), and they need to either find homes soon, or go to someone's freezer. So, until those guys move on, no broodies.

Bluemoon

Huston's Happy Hens :

Morning Everyone - I've got a cute mom story to share - The foster buff orp mom, Ms. Brody (after Jane Brody) has been raising the Wellies & EE's that Sam so graciously ordered and delivered to us all! So we've had her outside the last few weeks in our original coop - a small A-frame. I've let them out occasionally to forage when I'm going to be around and did so last night - they all come running out and interact a bit with the SLW's that I got from Ellen - who by the way are BEAUTIOUS! - I then meander my way to the front of the house where I'm transplanting some plants; I can still see everyone thru the open fencing that houses the adult flock and runs between the front of the house from the backyard .....about an hour goes by and I hear this soft cooing. I look up and there's a buff orp all by her lonesome looking longingly in at the adult flock....go thru the garage, and am asking her how she got on the other side of the fencing away from her gal pals and Brewster the rooster....she comes right over to me, submits and I pick her up and put her in with her gal pals.....go back to my planting and enjoying the redesign of my garden....time to tuck everyone in.....YIKES, all of the wellies and EE's are in for the night and Ms. Brody is no where to be found. DUH - that little momma was ready to leave her babes and join the rest of the flock! I'm only hoping that she's leaving her broodiness behind! Here are a few pics that I took the other night
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/13163_slws.jpg
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/13163_000_0082_4.jpg
and of course the new pup with her gal pal....It occurred to me this morning that I'm surounding myself with females - after having 2 sons and a hubby, my time with gal pals has arrived!
big_smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/13163_savannah_georgie.jpg

Love the looks on your dogs! Please can you let me in?​

I am really surprised at this!

My hubby just went to TSC to get more antiboditics and they are sold out! I was there last Saturday and there were at least a dozen more packages. There must be a lot of sick animals in our town or folks are purchasing the wrong stuff!

Luckily the feed store in town sells it too
smile.png

Sarah

HHH - Awwww glad to hear that the girls are doing so well for you.

We lost electricity around here last weekend while I was at work. For some reason hubby did not go get the generator. We had 2 available for our use. My incubator was full at the time (200-300 eggs), and I was in the middle of a hatch. I lost all of my duck eggs and all of the eggs that had just been set, and eggs that had been in for a week. I'm just sick about it and don't even know what to say to hubby at this time. Many of these eggs were ones I had purchased to add to our breeding flocks.
hit.gif

On a good note I am taking a road trip out to the Grand Rapids area in the morning. I'm picking up some gorgeous muscovy ducklings from cottage rose. I cannot wait to add some solids to my breeding stock. She has self-blue, silver, chocolate, and I cannot remember the last color. Yahoo! If anyone needs the chicken train I can try to help. Or if anyone out that way is interested in Delawares, EE's, Japanese Bantams, Colored Meat birds, or mixed chicks please let me know and I will bring them along.

Have a great day!

Ellen

Power is back on again. This is getting to become a problem. No storms, light wind, and power goes out!!! GGRRRRrrrrr...
somad.gif
Lucky we have the power pack thing so at least the incubator can keep going. Untill the genterator gets hooked to the house.

I only have a small incubator. I am not sure if it would run a large one but you can check. It is my husbands Die Hard portable power pack. It stays plugged in on a trickle charge to keep it charged. You can use it to jump start cars and stuff. I plug the DC to AC power inverter into it and plug the incubator into the inverter and a running incubator. He got the Die Hard thing at Sears and the inverter came from Meijers.

Jeez, Ellen, that's awful! I'm so sorry.

My package of bees arrived today!!!
wee.gif

I will be installing them into the hive tomorrow. I'll take pics (because I'm sure it will be hilarious) and post them tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom