Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
lol.png
NO! I have 2 I need to get rid of ... or eat.

Greetings fellow Michiganders!! Are we having fun yet??? My sister in law in Pa. says there forecast is 80 degrees for tomorrow and she has allllllll her annuals ready to plant! We are getting 6-9 inches here and it looks bad for mid Michigan too. I have decided that it will HAVE to melt and go away sometime....the snow can't last through the entire summer.....so I'm just ignoring it for now.
I may just drag back out my skiis!

Quote:
I look at it this way, my birthday is the end of the month and I've seen it snow many times then. I never call us clear from the risk of snow until the first week of May! lol

Quote:
I look at it this way, my birthday is the end of the month and I've seen it snow many times then. I never call us clear from the risk of snow until the first week of May! lol

GOOD NEWS!!!
celebrate.gif
wee.gif

Last week I put an ad in the craigslist wanted section for a fridge. I would have been happy with a small dorm sized one. In my ad I said we might be able to trade labor for things like cars, carpentry, building, remodeling or even eggs lol. A guy wrote to me last night saying he had several apartment size fridges (14.4 cu ft) and all he wanted was a few dozen eggs. He brought one home from work today and just delivered it. I gave him 4 dozen eggs! The only thing that's wrong with it is a few scratches on the door!

Last night while emailing him back and forth I asked him how he had so many. He works for an apartment management company. When city inspections go through (took me back to all the times my apartments were inspected) and they see a dent on the side or door or a scratch, they make the management get rid of it and replace it with a new one. So he has several!

Before he left he said if I knew anyone that needed one to give them his email address! So if anyone is interested let me know and I'll pm you his email address!
smile.png

Quote:
lol.png

I hear you. We usually "dispatch" our roosters, but I think I might be finally able to raise them to eat. Seems a waste not to, now that I think of it (don't tell my kids). We been vegetarian for years and years, but lately have wanted to add pasture raised meat to our diet from time to time. What's a good age to harvest a rooster that's not a Cornish X?

Quote:
lol.png

I hear you. We usually "dispatch" our roosters, but I think I might be finally able to raise them to eat. Seems a waste not to, now that I think of it (don't tell my kids). We been vegetarian for years and years, but lately have wanted to add pasture raised meat to our diet from time to time. What's a good age to harvest a rooster that's not a Cornish X?

Actually, right after I posted this, my mother called to say her co-worker wants one of them. The other one bites me every time I go in the run, so I won't bother rehoming him except for the freezer.

Quote:

This is not the first time we have had a snowstorm in April. I am sure it will not be the last.

The best time to dispatch a rooster from egg laying breeds is a soon as you know that you don't want him for breeding. The amount of feed they will consume while you try to get them to a reasonable butching weight is incredible and expensive. Even fully grown the amount of meat is pathetic and not a all cost effective. If you are raising chickens to reduce your family's food costs they aren't the way to do it. One of the harsh realities is that you should cull them as soon as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom