Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry folks I am sticking to my guns, dogs that Pursue and Kill their chicken prey (as opposed to just picking it up and accidentally biting down too hard) have an instinct or a love of killing that is almost impossible to eradicate. This dog deliberately planned an escape with the purpose of attacking those chickens. You can certainly wait years and hope things will change, but that is kind of experimental and you may suffer the losses of not just your chickens but other animals as well. I do not think those dogs should be killed though, there are many homes that they would be perfect pets for - with no chickens around. Their are probably trainers that could improve the situation, but those dogs are never completely trustworthy around chickens again.

Quote:
What breed of Heritage Turkeys are you looking for? I breed Narragansetts. The Tom in my avatar is one of the breeding birds.

I agree, she had every intention of going for my chickens. I am going to give her one more chance thou. I am buring the fence in an L pattern around the whole perimeter. I was thinking that I might get crushed concrete and put a layer of that on top of the fencing too before I bury it. I have a yard of the stuff that is in being used as a climbing hill by the chickens right now... But anyway. She will not be out in the back yard by herself until the fencing rework is complete. I even picked up one of those dog potty stations with the fake grass to put on the deck, and she's getting locked up on the deck when she needs to go out and my mom can not accompany her. She's in prison for now.

OH, That is a beautiful beautiful turkey.

:: chuckles :: This was in my email today and totally an example of chicken math:

Crate of Chickens

The farmer's son was returning from the market with the crate of chickens his father had entrusted to him, when all of a sudden the box fell and broke open. Chickens scurried off in different directions, but the determined boy walked all over the neighborhood scooping up the wayward birds and returning them to the repaired crate. Hoping he had found them all, the boy reluctantly returned home, expecting the worst.

"Pa, the chickens got loose," the boy confessed sadly, "but I managed to find all twelve of them."

"Well, you did real good, son," the farmer beamed. "You left with seven."

lol.png

Jen, my friend Pat just got champion meat pen at Kinross fair with the rabbits you found for her that I picked up at Chickenstock, they are so excited and wanted to say thanks to you for your help

Well, he's been gone too long so I think one of us needs to step in and pretend to be Opa. Notice I said pretend because no one else can really fill his shoes. I would do it but I'm not getting up at 4:00 a.m. to send you all a good morning post!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom