Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
What breed of Heritage Turkeys are you looking for? I breed Narragansetts. The Tom in my avatar is one of the breeding birds.

Actually those...my son-in-law thinks the Narragansett is the best, (maybe because he's a New Englander). Point being, I plan to raise a few for them, and me. Do you sell them? If so we can talk turkey.

Quote:
What breed of Heritage Turkeys are you looking for? I breed Narragansetts. The Tom in my avatar is one of the breeding birds.

Actually those...my son-in-law thinks the Narragansett is the best, (maybe because he's a New Englander). Point being, I plan to raise a few for them, and me. Do you sell them? If so we can talk turkey.

I do. Price varies with age -- $10 for brand new babies up to $40 for juvenile birds nearing maturity. Turkeys are seasonal layers. With spring being the official turkey laying season. Mine tend to lay 2-3 times a year though. Once in the spring, as is normal for turkeys, again mid-summer and then again in the fall. I keep a reservation list for the spring season, fill my needs for breeding replacements and meat birds first, and then fill reservations as they came in with whatever else I'm able to hatch out. I also offer people the option of out-of-season poults if they want but can't make guarantees as they could decide to skip laying those (or I could miss it, since they free range and I have to hunt down the nests. LOL!) at any time.

This year they have already completed their spring and mid-summer seasons. IF they lay this fall that will be coming up here probably mid-September to mid-October -- depending on weather.

This is a better picture of my breeding Tom, taken this spring when the breeding season first started:

5537454117_6a9c552376_z.jpg

And one of the hens, taken last fall:

5090012014_0d35bdf65f_z.jpg

Oh and I agree with your son and I'm not a New Englander. LOL! Narrs are the best. Not only are they beautiful, they're what people think of when they think the quintessential Thanksgiving bird. And not just that, of the heritage breeds, they tend to be one of the meatiest.

Quote:

I do. Price varies with age -- $10 for brand new babies up to $40 for juvenile birds nearing maturity. Turkeys are seasonal layers. With spring being the official turkey laying season. Mine tend to lay 2-3 times a year though. Once in the spring, as is normal for turkeys, again mid-summer and then again in the fall. I keep a reservation list for the spring season, fill my needs for breeding replacements and meat birds first, and then fill reservations as they came in with whatever else I'm able to hatch out. I also offer people the option of out-of-season poults if they want but can't make guarantees as they could decide to skip laying those (or I could miss it, since they free range and I have to hunt down the nests. LOL!) at any time.

This year they have already completed their spring and mid-summer seasons. IF they lay this fall that will be coming up here probably mid-September to mid-October -- depending on weather.

This is a better picture of my breeding Tom, taken this spring when the breeding season first started:

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5015/5537454117_6a9c552376_z.jpg

Ohhhhhh they are really pretty.

And one of the hens, taken last fall:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4092/5090012014_0d35bdf65f_z.jpg

Oh and I agree with your son and I'm not a New Englander. LOL! Narrs are the best. Not only are they beautiful, they're what people think of when they think the quintessential Thanksgiving bird. And not just that, of the heritage breeds, they tend to be one of the meatiest.

Quote:
Turkeys are awesome. They are close to favorites here. They are much lower maintenance than chickens. I like low maintenance.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom