Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
wow, lucky you. I got only 2 eggs today. And I recently had one of my barred rocks start laying so there are 7 active ladies out there. Guess they just weren't in the mood today.
But it was awfully dreary.

Quote:
Raining here all day, east side of the state. I finally went out and t ook my swim suit off the line to pop in the dryer so it's not freezing cold and wet to put on tomorrow.

Heelloooo to the newbies! Welcome to the Michigan thread!
frow.gif

Getting home to the girls already in for the night kind of sucks.... :: pouts ::

Quote:
Hi Easter Eggerz, Im just south of the Saginaw Bay and it rained here all day too.
welcome-byc.gif
For some reason I wasn't getting any messages in my email so hadn't been coming here and reading messages. Hmmmm? What causes that?
There were like 40hundred pages to catch up on.
I've been getting up at the crack of too dang early and going to the gym, working out in the naultilus room for a good 1/2 hour, then swimming a 1/4 mile and then doing an hour of water aerobics, trying to get in better shape for deer season. After the first week of it I'd gained 8 pounds!!! Talk about discouraging. But Im back for the last week of it. But Sunday, Monday at least will be headed for deer camp so won't see y'all for a bit. Toodles.
bun.gif

Quote:
Hmm, that is kind of weird. Mine all lay white and I don't know if there is any form of leghorn that lays brown. Is it possibly a different breed like a white rock?

I must be in the only part of the state where it is nice. It's still 63 degrees and it was mostly sunny all day.
Worked outside all day instead of doing homework.
Seriously considering skipping school tomorrow.
hmm.png

Hi all!

Ive been missing
hide.gif
Depression will do that to a person..
I hope everyone is doing okay- there are wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy too many pages for me to read backwards all at one time.

The weather has been on my side here, pretty much have everyone ready for the big freeze that we know is coming.
The girls are laying like crayz, and a couple went broody- not sure what to do there. if I let em hatch em, can they do it with winter here? They think its spring.
My turken rooster is officially a rooster. He crows starting at 4a.m. on the dot. You could set your clock by him. I am trying to let him overwinter here- he isnt very loud, that i hear. He only crows inside his coop. If he starts crowing outside of it, he will have to go to my brotherinlaws before Spring. The girls have been very receptive to him. I asked my neighbor next door, and she doesnt hear him at all.

My bloodwork from the doctor came back with a bunch of crap all messed up. More on that later, though.

I hope you are all doing well, and I hop to catch up soon.

Quote:
Hi Soctippy! Welcome to the Michigan thread.

Do you know if your chickens have worms? I know some people on BYC recommend worming routinely but that can create resistance in your flock to the wormer and Abendazole is also a wormer with more side effects than most. Notably liver damage in your chickens. Also, you have to throw away your chickens eggs for 24 days. That is quite a waste if your chickens don't even have worms.

If you have reason to suspect worms, you may want to confirm what kind of worms your chickens have and then choose the right wormer for them. You can find a vet who will do a fecal check for you or I have been told that you can take a stool sample to MSU vet school for verification.
You do not have to bring the chicken in for examination, just a poop sample.

It was beautiful here today too, RaZ. I spent all day raking, pruning, burning and mowing with the chickens and dogs keeping me company. I let them out at 9:30 this morning and they didn't go in until it was almost dark at 5:30. Didn't get a drop of rain here today at all. I'm just above Lake St. Clair and about 20 miles southeast of Port Huron. Just the perfect day to finish up the yard work before it freezes. Tarps are up on the run and I have six bales of straw stacked in the coop. A couple of the hens are making nests on top of the bales and laying eggs up there instead of in the nest boxes. I think the coop and run will be nice and cozy this winter. I hung a heat lamp from the ceiling in the coop and will get a thermo cube to plug it into so it isn't on all the time. Just need to get my galvanized water heater base from TSC and I'll be all set. I'm still getting between 9 and a dozen eggs a day from 13 hens, so I'm happy. None of mine have molted yet, but two of them have lost all or most of the feathers on their necks. I figured it was from the roosters, but why would they loose feathers in the fronts of their necks? Not sure what that's about.

Welcome to Easter Eggerz and soctippy! Great bunch of chicken addicted people here!
welcome-byc.gif

Mom2, it's great to see you back.
hugs.gif

Nova, so sorry for your loss of Minnesota Cuke.

Lol. I was talking with my mom tonight and she was asking how everyone and the animals were doing. I told her about my new green egg and asked if she had seen the photo I posted to my fb page and she said 'no. what green egg?' She then was like is that even safe to eat? I've never heard of a chicken laying a green egg before.
gig.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom