Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, don't know what LF means. I recently purchased some big cochins, and I've noticed that I've started getting some light colored, elongated eggs. I do not have any Welsummers or Sussex's. The eggs are kind of cool looking, I think....must be the cochins.

I just noticed that I need to change my signature line once again to adjust the number of chickens, and add ducks. When I signed up on here a few months ago, I had 7 chickens. Now it's up to 27. And 5 ducks. LOL! Hubby told me last night that I have become a crazy bird lady. Since I have various breeds, I thought I should probably log each of them in order to keep track of what I've got (in case I decide to breed or hatch eggs). He told me that was nuts.
tongue.png

Last edited:
Good morning all! What a beautiful fall morning!! I love it!!
celebrate.gif

YakLady, LF means large fowl, so standard size birds. I am no longer the crazy dog lady, bird lady, goat lady, etc. Now I am just the crazy lady!!
ep.gif

DH texted me this morning, he is out hunting. He got a big doe for the freezer!!
clap.gif
I asked if he was on his way home, he said no, he was being over run with deer, so he was still hunting! Now he is after that big buck!
ya.gif
venison for the freezer!!

Yeah Vicki---------the more venison the better. I got some venison steaks out of the freezer to for DH to grill this week. He got too busy to cook, so I made it into crock pot stroganoff. Oh my lands-----it was so tender and yummy!!!!!

Sure is a wonderful day. My oldest son, who lives in SW Missouri, had sales meeting yesterday in Indianapolis drove up to spend part of the day with us. I've a corn beef cooking and will fix a boiled dinner. Sadly he must leave about 430 to go give a lecture in Grand Rapids and then back to Indianapolis to fly home. Short visit but muich better than none. He was thrilled that I have 24# of venison summer sausage for him to take home. He loves any and all of the sausage I make and surprizingly his wife loves the real spicy and hot that I occasionally make.
It sure is a bright and beautiful day and I hope you all get to enjoy it.

Good morning all. Looks like it is going to be a nice day today. DH was out hunting this morning but no luck yet. I think he is wondering what is wrong with me since I keep telling him to go out hunting. Yesterday we sent one of our extra roosters to freezer camp. Today we are having the "kids" over for our monthly dinner get together. We are having salad, lasagna and dutch apple pie.
droolin.gif

Hope everyone has a great day!

Good morning everyone. Nice to see some sunshine and warmer temps today. All the food talk on here makes me want to start cooking.
Sorry to say I had yet another predator attack last night. I am so upset and frustrated. I lost another seven of my large fowl. Whatever got in dug through the ground and came in behind a door through a space about one inch or less. I am at such a loss on what to do. My other LF are in a seperate pen and are just fine. All of my babies and bantams are in my walkout basement still and are safe. Not sure what or how to catch the predator, I am guessing it is a weasel based upon size. If anyone has any suggestions I would love to here them. I have not had any problems until the last month or so, with the weather change. Sorry to go on, just really upset.
Thanks for letting me babble.

Thanks for the info on the cochin eggs. I've been out to the coop a couple of times today and while I have yet to find one of the long light brown eggs in the nesting box, one of the cochin hens is in the coop and the rooster is standing in the chicken door blasting out some amazing clucks and crows, perhaps egging her on! I'll keep checking
tongue.png

Sorry to hear about your predator problem kklady, we're dealing with raccoons like most people. My cat kills the minks we have snooping around, so we're not having weasel problems.

Hi Julie,

That really stinks! Is a LGD (livestock guardian dog) a possibility? We got one at the end of july and haven't lost a bird since! We got a 5 month old boy and put him in with our goats because I knew he wasn't ready to guard birds, he is too much puppy! However, him just being out there, barking, guarding, etc. has kept everything out of our yard!! He is a puppy, but takes his job very seriously and we can definitely tell when there is something he feels is a threat out there. Yet to us, he is a big, sweet puppy, very loving. Best investment we made!

Opa: its always so nice to spend time with the kids, even if just for a short time. Days as such, I cherrish deeply as Im sure you do

Hillybilly Hen: You enjoy your time with the family. Too bad you live so far away, Id crash your party. LOL Supper sounds awesome.

Vicki2x2:Tell husband CONGRATS on the doe and hope he gets the buck he's after. Venison packed freezer for winter is great.

YakLady: Back in July I bought 5 Isa laying hens. That was it, I was hooked. I now have ...well, including the 18 birds Im bring back from Ohio National next weekend...hmmmmmmmm 146 birds OMGosh now who's the crazy one? And I didnt even count the rest of the meats that need to be processed this week. But half or more of the 101 Isa's I have , will be sold come spring for layers.

KrazyKritterLady: I was doing a bunch of research on Nite Guard its a solar pulse light that keeps predators away. So I figured what the heck, xmas lights might do the same thing. Maybe string up some flashing lights around your coops inside and out and see if that stops them? I know it sounds crazy but you can read about it at http://www.niteguard.com/ much cheaper way than spending $29 per unit.

A2SciTeach: When I first got my LF cochins and they started laying, yes the eggs were oblong and not very big, as they matured some the eggs became more uniform and round. But LF Cochin eggs are med size eggs, much smaller than laying hen eggs.

Well Im going outside to clean the one hen house, and put up oak fencing across my front yard with gates. As Im tired of my drive being the local turn around for sight see'ers. You all enjoy this beautiful fall day. Suppose to be warm again tomorrow too.

Forgot to also say, I leave a radio playing in my barn, that helps keep critters out. I took it out for a while when I was moving things around and that is when I had a coon in my barn that came in, past all the geese and killed everything in my brooder. I remembered I hadn't put the radio back out there, and no problems since.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom