Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
I made the same mistake twice.

I do endurance riding with my 1/2 Arab and I saw in the directory that someone was from Bangor. I thought the same thing! Turns out, she lives near Lake Michigan, not Lake Huron.

A year later, "Oh, you live in Sand Lake! I work sometimes in Tawas!"

"Tawas? Where's that?"

"Y'know, right on Lake Huron, a little southeast of you in Sand Lake." Blank expression. "Iosco county?"

"No. I live near Grand Rapids."

Turns out there's TWO Sand Lakes in Michigan.

Who woulda thought, with all the sand and lakes that TWO communities would have that name?
hu.gif

I am with you on the Sand Lake thing, been to the one by Lake Michigan never over by Lake Huron.

Speaking of lakes, we are back to the basics with camping which means a tent, and looking for some ideas of campgrounds that have electricty at site and CLEAN bathrooms. We have had a camper the last 6 years with our own bathroom so it wasn't an issue before. We love camping but I would rather really rough it and dig a hole than go somewhere that has gross bathrooms. But the boys want somewhere with a pool to swim. I thought word of mouth is best. Anybody got some ideas?

If they don't mind a clean river in place of a pool, try either Hopkins Creek near Lake City or Rollways near South Branch (north of MY Sand Lake). South Branch is north of Hale, west of Oscoda.

Several years ago, before cell phones, 2 firemen I worked with were going to go camping together and agreed to meet up on the junction of US23 and Silver Lake rd. They never managed to meet up and when they returned to work each was mad at the other, yet each had waited at US23 and Silver Lake Rd. The problem is that there are 2 Silver Lake roads that cross US23 and they are 20 miles apart.

Quote:
Yes, they take tents and campers both. We really like it, feels a little like up north to us, which is where we are from.

Thanks Vicki
smile.png
I will add sleepy hollow to the list! That's fairly close to us, so it won't take much shifting pets around to go there. I found out a couple summers ago that some campgrounds in New England ( where I'm from ) weren't taking tents because of bears. They had put up small wood cabins, but they were the price of a tent site. I was surprised since I had been camping at some of these places for over 20 years.

Bluemoon

Quote:
Yup, Fenton and near Pinckney exit. I think both have a park & ride too.

BTW, if anyone isn't doing anything this weekend, the barn I board at is having a used tack & craft sale. Lazy A Ranch, Prescott, MI near West Branch. March 27, 10-3. PM me for more info.

I've done sections of the Shore-to-Shore Trail but never all at once. I'm a member of the Great Lakes Distance Riding Association or GLDRA for short. We do endurance riding and actually race the 250 miles across the state from Oscoda/Tawas to Empire--50 miles a day, 5 days. I've done Day 1 sveral times because I live by it, but something always comes up or my horse is slightly off after Day 1. I may try for Day 1 and Day 2 this year (Oscoda to Luzerne) but we'll see. I've ridden the whole eastern half of the trail from Oscoda to Grayling either in competition or pleasure and the south spur on the west side (Hopkins Creek) and the north spur between Gaylord and Stony Creek near Indian River.

My first competition this year will be the Bay-de-Noc to Grand Island ride in the U.P. I LOVE that trail, the trees are so mature, HUGE! Last year, 3/4 from the finish, my horse drifted to the right side of the trail where it was less rocky and I got caught across my right eye with a balsam fir. With all the white pine, hemlocks and cedars, I had to get hit with the one hard-needled pine. It was not fun driving from Rapid River to West Branch with one eye. We also saw Bigfoot hunters up there.

I know there's a gal who just joined GLDRA this year who has bantams, she lives Fowlerville-ish? area.

Last edited:
My oldest son has mules. Some he uses for pulling wagons and plows, while others are used for pack animals for hunting; but by far the best are his gaited mules for riding. Mules are actually a much better choice for trail riding than are horses. They have greater endurance, require less feed and are less prone to shy. He wants me to go trail riding with him and my granddaughter on some of the old cattle trails in Okalahoma and Kansas. Last year they were riding across an indian reservation with a group of friends and they encountered a herd of over a hundred wild horses. For a while it became quite frentic with the mustangs wheeling around and the riders horses becoming quite agitated. He claimed that the only people who didn't have trouble controlling their animals were him and Morgan. There mules just didn't react at all.
Currently he has a paso fino mare bred to a large jack that he anticipates throwing a foal that will be a great riding mule and if things work out the way he wants it will be mine. I can see me now. Sitting in the saddle, trail boss on a large herd of chickens being driven to market.
lau.gif

Hello. I'm Dan from SE Michigan. I'm new to this forum and the hobby of raising chickens. I hope to grow my flock this year and continue to improve their accomodations. I currently have four Red Stars (aka Golden Comets) and three Amberlinks. I look forward to meeting new friends and exchanging ideas and stories here.

Quote:
Our little horse club rode the shore to shore. We rode around the Mammouth caves in Kentucky. But our ride of a lifetime was in South Dakota in Custer National Park. Riding near, not close to buffalo. The day before we got there a motorcycle rider got to close to a bull and wrecked his bike and put him in the hospital. Our flatlander horses did pretty good at Harney Peek. Two horses riding double. Great trip, We felt like we went back in history.

Good Morning and Welcome Dan!

No call this morning from the post office. Going to call the hatchery at 9am and make sure the chicks were shipped on Wednesday. Kids are going to be bummed when they get up this morning
sad.png

Have a great day and enjoy the nice weather
smile.png

Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom