Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
you know, I really like that analogy. In a morbid sense of the way, I am going to store that for later use.
hugs.gif

Ugh. I was going to add a few chicks, perhaps a dozen, tomorrow. The snow is really flying. Hope the forecast for rain tomorrow comes to pass and washes the rest of this all away.

The 6 day forecast is dismal. Lows here of low single digits Wed-Fri. I am quite torn about bothering with chicks tomorrow. Too bad. I was a bit geeked.

Quote:
We have snow here too!
sad.png
I'm sooooooo not wanting the snow! I guess we were foolish to think maybe we could escape more this early. Glad you have plans for 10 more eggs....these will surely do well!

DH and I were out running errands today and couldn't get home before the freezing rain. We had the chicken coop door open and figured that the birds would just automatically go in when it was too wet/cold for them. Apparently one of my SLWs decided that she forgot where the door was and just decided to stay out in the rain.

From the moment I got home, the Holy Spirit was telling me to get outside and take care of the chickens but I just thought it'd bc OK since they all know to go inside. When I finally got out there I came around the corner to see my little SLW (whose been going through a nasty molt and barely has any feathers to her name) was just standing in the rain, huddled up with her eyes closed and my I felt HORRIBLE!! She sat so still that I thought that she was dead until I poked her and she fidgeted a bit. I picked her up (which she NEVER lets me do) and put her inside and she just laid down. All of the chickens came off from the roosts to see what was going on and I just felt so bad for not coming outside sooner to check on them! I put her in a pet carrier with some straw and hay and brought her into the laundry room to warm up. I hope she's going to be OK.. Things don't look too good though bc she just keeps tipping over to the side and has her eyes shut.
sad.png

Rain and sleet here for the past few hours. As muddy as some areas are we do need the rain so I'm trying not to hate it too much. Just wish it was a warm rain. And ANYTHING is better than snow or ice. The wind has really been whipping here, I guess I didn't realize it was going to be so windy.

Well, it was a good day for staying in and cuddling on the sofa if nothing else.

I need to sign up for Chickenstock still, just not sure yet if we'll be able to make it.
hmm.png

I have a questin for the duck people, one of our pekin ducks was startled and flipped on its back and seemed to go into a seizure, we picked it up and in about 30 seconds it seemed to come out of it but still was wobbly. Does anyone have any idea what could cause this, I read something about pasturella but could not find the treatment, I have duramycin and enrofloxin but I do not know the doses for ducks, these are my first ducks i've ever raised.

Sorry Uncle Bubba, I can't help with the duck. Maybe it's a fainting duck!
wink.png

Keyt: I added your wants on the chickenstock buy, sell, trade page.

We only had rain here thank goodness but expecting snow probably toward the end of the week. I loved the thunder and lightening lastnight.

Does anyone know how to sex a duckling? I have a runner and some other duck.. small yellow, so I assume it'll be white. The runner is yellow with a darker face. But I don't have any idea what sex they are, or how to tell as they get older. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Quote:
When they are bigger, you can pick them up individually- the one with the QUACK is female, no quack but raspy quacking sounds are male.
Vent sexing is an option as well, but I dont know how to do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom