Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
MCW, I have not been on in a long time I am so sorry for the pain that you and yours are going through. Nobody can know how others feel or deal with the death of a loved one. I know the year I lost my 18 year old niece and my mother all in 4 months just about did me in and the worst thing anyone could say to me was, I know how you feel. I handled that year one minute at a time in fact I handled the next 3 years one minute at a time. That was 13 years ago and it still hits me. I lost my dad 24 years ago and this year has been the hardest one yet without him. So you take your time, put you and yours first, and hey do what you have to and survive this because that is all any of us can do. The sad truth about death is that it never gets any easier to handle it just gets different with time. Hugs and Prayers jean in MI

Went to TSC to get some pine bedding for cleaning out the coop, took a quick peek at chicks and over heard a little girl say Araucana's are the coolest because they lay blue eggs (I think she's the same girl who helped us catch chicks for our friend). Made me smile quite a bit.
smile.png

On our way out BF grabbed a little TSC 'Out Here' magazine, and while he was flipping through it he decided he want's Black Copper Marans so he can have red eggs with his green ones.
lol.png
For a guy that is trying to be indifferent towards chickens he seems to have his favorites.

Quote:
Speaking as a retired teacher....is this the best time for you to do graduate classes? I'm sure considering your circumstances you can get your money back if necessary (sounds like you have to reenroll anyway so not a problem). Death is like the #1 stressor in anyones life...you have to do your job related activities but I think if you really look at your list and prioritize...you will be able to figure what you MUST do and what can be put aside. I'm guessing you can get out of jury duty also...probably could get a doctors note if necessary. Number #1 is taking care of you and your daughter. Praying for you.

I have to. In order to keep my certification up. I'm already behind on my classes and credits because the year after I was laid off, I went into severe depression and then worked as a media center aide--not knowing which direction my life would go, I didn't take any classes that year. I need to get 11.5 credits by June 2013. The sooner I can get some out of the way, the better.

Oh....geez that is too bad. Well...we are right here for you as everyone has said....vent away...we are with you.Hope you have some classes that aren't too time consuming and will be interesting at least.
wink.png

Hey folks! I have a question that is specifically for those of you in Kalamazoo, Van Buren, and Allegan counties. Where can I buy feed in this area that meets the following specifications:

1. Medicated with amprolium.

2. Contains 16-18% protein.

3. Is for LAYERS between 2 and 16 weeks of age

4. Is available in 50 lb bags.

I called around yesterday and bought some "Fast Grow" stuff by Homestead (Hubbard) from Browns in Gobles that is medicated and available in 50 lb bags BUT is 20% protein and the tag implies that it is more for BROILERS than LAYERS. I have not begun feeding this yet...the bag is unopened so I could return it or sell it to someone myself.

My concern is twofold:

1. Going broke feeding the dollar a pound starter feed from TSC in the teeny 5lb bags.

and more importantly:

2. Feeding my layers something that is too "hot" protein-wise at this stage of development.

Much Thanks!!

The wifes uncle managed several commercial egg production facilities from 500,000 to 1,000,000 birds so I am trusting his every word and he says "the big boys" feed ampro until 10 weeks, then off for a week then back on for 2 weeks before finally ending up on unmedicated feed. I haven't been able to reach him with this question so I thought I'd throw it out there for a consensus of what you folks are feeding. He has seen instances where there have been losses of 30% of a flock of 100,000 birds due to coccidiosis (sp).

I've been hoarding eggs for the past few days, just bought my egg turner and installed it and flipped on my 'bator!! I can't wait to set eggs tomorrow!
wee.gif

mcfarmall, are you going to chickenstock this June. I usually pick up my friend in Portage and we go on up. It is quite fun, great food and wonderful conversatioin.

I buy most of my feed from Browns in Gobles. He is a great guy!!. Whenever I have questions about my chickens, he calls the guy who either works or owns the feed store in Lawerance. I think it is called Southwest feed, or southwest michigan feed or something like that. I have only talked to the guy in Lawerance on the phone. But Ernie usually knows his feed, or where to find the information.

Quote:

Last edited:
lol.png
Well I thought BF was joking about getting more chickens, but he asked me to ask here if anyone knows where to get a hen that lays red eggs.

We only have coop space for one more chicken, and we don't need anything show quality or for breeding, he just wants colorful eggs.
roll.png

He saw the Black Copper Marans seems to like those best. I don't really know about getting chicks, the ones we have currently are about 3 weeks old and might not react well to a newcomer. A pullet or hen might be easier to slowly introduce to the other adult chickens.
If there are any other red egg laying breeds that would be easier to get a hold of (Marans are listed as rare) let me know so I can tell him about them. We don't need anything right away, just something to keep an eye out for.
wink.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom