Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Eve, even an old rooster like me hates having to cull but from experience I've found that extra ordinary efforts on a bird usually aren't effective. You've accomplished responsible poultry management.
thumbsup.gif

While I sure the ducks are very happy with the weather this week, my chickens and I are getting tired of it. May have to look into making little water wings for chickens.
10233_rain_2.jpg

Quote:
It sounds like your bird has bumblefoot. It's a staph infection caused by a cut or puncture to the foot (more common with heavier birds). Soak the affected foot for 10 minutes in a hot water/epsom salt solution. Remove scab and prise the wound open. Treat with hydrogen peroxide, dry, wrap with gauze and tape. Place bird in warm dry area. Give bird an antibiotic. The easiest injection site is probably the breast, halfway between keel and wing. Spread feathers, wipe with alcohol, insert needle approximately 1/4 inch.

I've been doing the espsom salt/hot water, peroxodide, gauze & tape treatment. He has a small scab on his toe but there was no bumble when I removed it and searched. I'll get some penicillin tonight but the scab is almost healed. Should I try to pry it open again?

well there's the reason we built the coop on concrete blocks, ground all spongey around the coop , back yards a pond, front yards a pond ,so far the driveways above water, sigh.. this is the longest spring ever!!!!! The darn rain has beaten my tulips and daffodils into the ground to .. I better stop whining soon, even I am getting on my nerves.lol
My chickens are doing wonderful, my 10 year old has a favorite barred rock pullet ,shes named her Buddy and taught the darn thing to ride around on her shoulder. It even cuddles up to her like a cat or something, so far my barred rocks are the friendliest of the group and they are getting huge FAST, now if they lay as nice as there personality's are...
celebrate.gif

Hoping for a few dry days in a row here...
frow.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom