Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
RaZ - I am not sure where to place bat boxes? I have a forest behind my home, a 6 ft. fence surrounding our home and the house/garage itself. Where would you put a bat box?

Quote:
It should be 15 to 20 feet up with a clear drop of 10 feet directly below the box. Bats typically drop before they start flying.
Position the box to face south or southeast.

Good luck, sometimes its hard to draw them in closer.

Quote:
Try the bat exhibit at Cranbrook Science Museum. They have a great display.

Do you have a spot where you can put up a bat house? If you have a place for them to stay, you can draw them in. It often takes a year or 3 for them to come to the bat box. If you need a bat house, let me know, I've made several of them.

Wow. Thank you. Yes I do have a place for a bat house. Suppose maybe you could bring one to Chickenstock? I had a friend that had LOTS of bats in their barn and we could set outside anytime day or night and not be bothered by Mosquitos.

Last edited:
Well I spend all morning in the airport to nowhere. LOL... Oh well.

ChicwannnaB - LG Bators are the stepchild of bators from what I've read. I am not certain what all the complaints are but they are not well liked. I did a dry hatch too (40-45% Humidity). All my eggs hatched out between 3-5 days late. I had 1 that wan't fertile and 2 that stopped devoloping sometime during the incubation period. (I have an old beat up Hova Bator with an auto turner) It looked like you had good development. Do you think your temp may have spiked and you not know it? I have heard of that happening.

Keeps - FREAKING AWESOME THAT YOU WERE ABLE TO CONVINCE THE BOARD IN FAVOR OF CHICKENS! (are you in sales
wink.png
?)

Raz - Bats eat mosquitos right? ....nevermind, I can't do bats... :: shivers :: Hey, as a person that has had a bird caught in my curly frock....it is so not cool. I can't even imaging having to wrestle a bat out of my hair. :: does the heebyjeeby dance ::

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a neighbor who wants to buy it off me, I haven't cleaned it up yet.
Keyt said once she had hers accidently turned up and it went to 130 something and they still hatched, so I don't think a slight temp variation will hurt that much. My humidity was between 22 and 24% most of the time till lock down when I put some water in it. then about 55%. I honestly don't know what happened. It was probably ME tho, not the incubator.

Quote:
I have a neighbor who wants to buy it off me, I haven't cleaned it up yet.
Keyt said once she had hers accidently turned up and it went to 130 something and they still hatched, so I don't think a slight temp variation will hurt that much. My humidity was between 22 and 24% most of the time till lock down when I put some water in it. then about 55%. I honestly don't know what happened. It was probably ME tho, not the incubator.

oh well, it happened and it's over with. Nothing I can do about it now. Gotta ove on. enjoy the sunshine everyone.

Quote:
Bats will eat mosquitos but they prefer larger prey such as moths. Dragonflies eat more mosquitos than bats.
And there has never been a documented case of a bat getting caught in anyone's hair. It's an old wives' tale.

had a bat box when bought ur house it was wood and the woodpeckers killed it lol full of holes...but we still gets lots of bats becuase of ur pond
smile.png

lizzz

Quote:
Bats will eat mosquitos but they prefer larger prey such as moths. Dragonflies eat more mosquitos than bats.
And there has never been a documented case of a bat getting caught in anyone's hair. It's an old wives' tale.

RaZ - I'm glad you mentioned that it's an old wives' tale about bats flying into hair. Doesn't happen. I have a very nice huge bat box that I need to get hung but have read online not to put them on trees because bats actually find the box visually and may not find or use it if it is hidden by branches. I have several nice tall trees with branches very high up, so I'm thinking of using one of them as the box would be far below the branches. Any idea how to keep hornets out of the bat box? My neighbor had a box up for several years and never got bats in it because hornets took it over.

RaZ - So sorry about your hen. I see them all the time, but so far have not had any encounters.

Mama is still on her eggs. I brought her out this morning to stretch her legs and she went around to the front with the flock and took a dirt bath. She was off the eggs for probably 30 to 45 minutes. I was going to get her and put her back but decided to let her be the judge of time and left her alone. I hope she wasn't off too long.

ChicwannaB - I'm so sorry about your bad luck with hatching, especially when you can see how close a few of them came to making it. That's my main reason for not even trying it. Knowing my luck it would turn out the same way. I'll let Mama do her thing, but don't think I'll try incubating myself.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom