Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Checked craigslist. Drove all over the country neighborhood for almost two hours tonight stopping at every house that still had lights on. There are no small animal vets out here. Got her on my facebook and left name and number with everyone I talked to.

I'm not a GFM and I can see the large coops and chicken tractors areas without a problem. What browser are you using? Seems like they said there are known problems with IE. I'm on Safari.
Huh. I'm on Safari, too, but on an Ipad. But there's other things I can't get on the Ipad, like the smilies (no, they're not available up above, just 5 are available to the right of this box I'm texting in now). Also, I don't get WYSIWYG, as "the rich text editor is not compatible with your browser," so I have to see and try to edit all the BBCode. (Yes, I am totally faking that I understand anything about what I just wrote). We do have a PC, somewhere in the south wing of the Brady Bunch house. Maybe tomorrow I will use it and see what the differences are (we run IE on that). I'll just have to sneak on while the DH isn't playing computer games.

Yorkchick- I attempt to be funny sometimes, you actually are. You have described what I see perfectly.

Olive- I will go in and check to make sure my preference settings are correct and see if that works. As far as my browser goes, I use an older eMac computer and the thing I click on to get to the internet says Safari I think. Thanks again to those trying to help.

WELCOME MINNESOTA- What we lack in lakes, we make up for in chatty chicken people. Stop in often and chat with us, we are a pretty welcoming group. I think someone already asked, but what breeds and how many chickens do you have?

Goodnight all

When I turned on the computer and logged in I had 135 unread posts, and I get on and read EVERY DAY! This thread is insane, but I love it. I started out replying to muliple posts but had to get up and do other stuff so often that the first ones I was going to reply to are now older than the hills. So, I'll just say to Farmerboy, I LOVE your sign! In fact, if you don't mind I think I'll make one of my own this summer.

Mama and the chicks are doing great. The 5th egg had not hatched or even pipped yet this afternoon. When I want to the coop she was half in and half out of the nest box and not on the egg, but all four chicks were under her keeping warm. I felt the egg and it was still a bit warm, so she must have just moved off it not too long before. She had pooped in the corner and I think she moved because of the poop. I cleaned the poop out, removed the nest box and put fresh straw in. Now there is more room without the nest box in there and I don't have to worry about a chick falling out and not being able to get back under Mama. I refilled the chick feeder with Mana Pro medicated chick starter and gave them fresh warm water. The chicks are all running around peeping and I watched all of them eat and get a drink, so it looks like they are healthy enough. I picked up the last egg and it doesn't feel really heavy like the others did before they hatched, so maybe it never started or wasn't even fertile. I won't take it out for another week or so unless Mama pushes it out or gets off it. The chicks are so cute, and like Nova said, they change so fast! The little yellow one now has tiny black flecks all over and the yellow spot on the top of the little black chick's head now does not look so perfectly round but more of a splotch, so maybe it's not a rooster after all. It will be fun to watch them change and mature into. . . what? I just hope they are all pullets.
fl.gif

Tonight when I went to clean the poop boards the chickens had all gone to roost already. As I was scraping I noticed a few spots of blood. They were under the spot that Worf always roosts in and when I looked up I saw that he had a little blood on the side of his head. It wasn't much, but something happened. I saw him and Joe sparring in the yard the other day and I hope they are not going to start fighting now. I really like having two roos because they are both on constant guard and I feel the hens are so much safer. I hope I don't have to make a decision to get rid of one.

Glad to see ChickwannaB is alive and well.

Woo Hoo, the weather report is for 38 to 40 degrees for the next week or so! Can't stand this super cold weather.

Everyone keep warm and safe.
Hey...how do you scrape your poop boards when the poop is frozen solid??? I can only scrape mine when temps get over 32! I dropped my RV coop and flock off at my friends on Friday and hated to give her a coop with poop frozen onto boards. I have a hoe to scrape them off when not frozen but impossible when frozen!

How do you remove poop from poop boards when it is FROZEN solid onto the boards. ? I would need a chisel and hammer! I have to wait until days of 32 or higher come and then scrape. This is the first year I've used "poop boards".....just wondering. I dropped off my RV coop and flock to my friend/chicken sitter and hated her seeing frozen poop covering the boards. We don't head for Florida until Wed. so I'm going tomorrow or Monday to her house to scrape off the poop boards while it is warm and show her my poop scrapping technique!
lol.png

I feel your pain. the poo freezes as fast as it comes out on the coop floors with the ducks & geese. mine are slatted to let it fall through and it still piles up on cold days

Okay, this is a long shot but anybody in or near the area where Ionia/Clinton/Gratiot/Montcalm counties meet missing a black lab -- or know someone in that area who has and therefore might be missing a black lab? Sweet, young, female. Probably a mix as she's got a bit of a blocky head and white patches on her neck and chest. If so let me know. I know there aren't any active members in the area but also know we get lurkers so... PM me please if you happen to have a lead.

I posted a link to this on www.greatlakes4x4.com so more folks would see it. good luck finding its owner

Good Morning.

Y'all sleep too much,.
my animals wont let me sleep much past five. My big pit is convinced his bladder will explode if I try.

Checked the incubator temp- 105 degrees...Ha! Thats why I don't have any eggs in it yet!
Cranked it down- and now we wait. Soon as it stablizes at a decent temp, it will begin. *Note- I NEVER had it at 105, just hatched my mutant out in it. THIS is why I ordered the Octagon 20 something from Brinsea. I didnt get the turner cradle though. I will order it, but its 70 dollars so I have to wait. That will be arriving on the 24th.

Im pretty excited about having an incubator that is not designed for cats to lay on top of and cover vent holes and cause the temps to spike.

Hmm. This greyscale world is STILL very dull- easier on my eyes than the bright whites it did have here, but still rather blah. I wonder if that test KNEW what it was talking about.

Yorkchick- I attempt to be funny sometimes, you actually are. You have described what I see perfectly.

Olive- I will go in and check to make sure my preference settings are correct and see if that works. As far as my browser goes, I use an older eMac computer and the thing I click on to get to the internet says Safari I think. Thanks again to those trying to help.

WELCOME MINNESOTA- What we lack in lakes, we make up for in chatty chicken people. Stop in often and chat with us, we are a pretty welcoming group. I think someone already asked, but what breeds and how many chickens do you have?

Goodnight all

I use google chrome. i believe it was me that told you about the preferences- Olive may have as well. However, once I clicked the 'same size' thing I didnt have any more issues. Using Safari I think, is your problem. Can you get Google Chrome for a mac? Better that way. I am going to go investigate.

eta:
This is the link with a download now button for Google Chrome for Mac:
http://download.cnet.com/Google-Chrome/3000-2356_4-75205983.html

And Yorkchick-
I believe there is a whole thread on iPads...download 'tapatalk" it is supposed to cure the world.
ETA: here is the link to the thread about tapatalk..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ile-devices-iphones-ipads-tablets-android-etc

AND- Chickmate;
what a wonderful memory of you and your dad!!! Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom