Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't tell you. I'm in the Witless Protection Programme.
bowler_hat.gif

M2M - that yellow chick looks like it needs to be named Chunk and I agree with teeville, it does not look happy.

msue - I have two bantam girls, a salmon faverolle and a sizzle. One started laying at about 6 months and is pretty routine, almost every day. The other is 8 1/2 months and has shown no sign of starting to lay.

What kinds of foods do you feed your broody hens? I've only made her scrambled egg and cottage cheese. I do also have feed and scratch for her in the corner of her nest box. I also offer her water a couple times a day even though it's there for her anytime she wants to leave the nest.

Poor Chunk..that was the second picture I took of it, so it was probably blind. The first was blurry so I did it again.
M.Sue= my banties lay sporadically, whenever they want, And for the longest time I didnt think anyone was laying anything- until I found the secret nest stash..seems that my banties love to hide their eggs.

Taprock- I feed my broodies the same chicken feed as everyone else. I put a dish near them so they dont have to get up. Each one of them act like starving chickens and always eat from the dish when I do it that way.

You only got 2 dozen + . That is not that many.
wink.png
You owe me no money whatsoever. DON'T worry about hatching an ostrich or goose. Our geese are not laying yet and we have NO room for ostriches. Our chickens are starting to lay pretty good sized eggs. More room for the baby to grow. The breeds include BCM, OE, EE, BSL, RIR, RSL, DEL, BO, WO, Polish, BA, BR, and a few mutts. Hope you get some colorful birds.
big_smile.png

Im excited! And Maybe my other two fluffbutts will go broody and I can stick some of these eggs under them, because I am going to have a HOUSE FULL.. Are the blue eggs from the EE? Those have me geeked up. :)

Mom - I'm wondering too what you are going to do with all of them! Are you bringing some of these babies to Chickenstock? They are SO cute!.....

She said they ran from the ditch across the road by the gravel pit in front of her car and back through the fence on my side. .....
Your chickens were just answering the question, "why did the chicken cross the road?"...

Im only bringing what people tell me they would like. If I post pictures, and you say...OH, I love that chicken...I want it, then I will bring it. If not, all surplus will go to my brother in law. HEY....can I interest you in your own Uggo Rooster? I will bring him to Chicken Stock..along with Sam's...
hide.gif

What cute little chickies.
Thank you...more lamb pictures please...they are so little and cute and when I think about them, I feel bad for every gyro I ever ate.

I'm not trying to be an alarmist but when folks have issues with their chicks I tend to start researching. (I guess it is the biologist in me.)
I found this link, perhaps it will help.
hu.gif
http://poultrykeeper.com/chickens/health/crooked-and-curled-toes-in-chicks.html

You can draw your own conclusions. Good luck.

Couldnt you just summarize for me so I dont have to go look it up? Also, I meant to quote your turkey post. I want a turkey really bad as well. I considered the midget white ones. They are small. However, someone told me turkeys are LOUD...and my neighbors would freak.

Last edited:
FYI

A friend of mine has cabinet syle incubator and a hatcher for sale. They are older models, but they were recently updated, and in excellent condition. If I had any extra money they would be on their way to my house. The Incubator holds over 300 chicken eggs. If you are interested please let me know. She is located about 20 minutes West of Port Huron.

Quote:
I am thinking about it, but not quite ready yet.
I looked at the website, and How Cow! The prices for per day-old goslings are way out of my price range. Wynette had ordered 4 ducklings for herself and 9 White Chinese goslings for me at Metzer's. They are due in the end of March. :weee
BTW, the backyard looks like a junkyard, it does needs cleaning, its so bad that I can see everything in the backyard 1 mile up in space from google earth. So embarrassing
hide.gif

OK, I know you probably didn't mean that to be funny Daron, but it is!!!
gig.gif
I have used a lot of the stuff from the backyard to build my coops, so I can't really complain, but its a bit messy. I have been working the past two days sorting things out and putting all the scrap, and rotted wood to be burned, boy, its going to be a big fire. I am not even half way done cleaning. :barnie I am very glad that our village have a free spring cleaning trash dump day at a weekend sometime around end of March or April every year. :woot That is the only way we can get trash out of the yard.

BF and I drove around town for a bit yesterday and saw quite a few houses with chickens in the backyard, as well as a couple houses with them in the front yard. We also encountered several ducks and a geese crossing the road and had to stop so we wouldn't hit one duck that panicked and started to run back in front of the car. Not sure what kind of ducks they were but I think the geese were Chinese Geese. One goose was honking pretty angrily at us and seemed to be herding the ducks away from the car.

BF was on sick leave from work for a while so we postponed house hunting for several months. We're now tentatively checking the market again to see if there is anything that fits what we want out there. We probably won't be running out buying anytime soon, but it's good to have an idea of what's out there and at what price. When we go out to look at houses we keep an eye out to see if there's anyone else keeping chickens in the area. If other people in the area have chickens, it's a good sign that our own flock won't be out of place.

Good Morning Everyone.......snow day here for the kids. We don't have much but they are saying by this afternoon it ought to be pretty nasty.
I went out late night and got a jump start on my coop chore so I wouldn't have to be out there this morning for very long. Snowing but doesn't look too bad right now. 5-7 predicted.

I was just curious about the bantam hens because I know a hen is born with all the eggs she will lay and figured that the bantams get short changed. I wish I would of saved one of her eggs. They were so tiny & cute compared to the others. If she decides to produce one in the near future I'm gonna blow it out, dry it, and make an ornament!

Good article on crooked & curled toes. I like the PoultryKeepers site.

Well good day for now.....happy shoveling to all!

So far not much snow on the ground and I've got my fingers crossed that since the overnight accumulation is far short of the prediction that the daytime accumulation will be as well. I think today will be a good day for reading.

I am thinking about it, but not quite ready yet.

That's pretty much where I'm at, too. Hehe. Thinking about it...

I looked at the website, and How Cow! The prices for per day-old goslings are way out of my price range. Wynette had ordered 4 ducklings for herself and 9 White Chinese goslings for me at Metzer's. They are due in the end of March.
wee.gif

I do like Metzer's and would order from them if it were possible, but they do not carry Saxony ducks.

I was just curious about the bantam hens because I know a hen is born with all the eggs she will lay and figured that the bantams get short changed. I wish I would of saved one of her eggs. They were so tiny & cute compared to the others. If she decides to produce one in the near future I'm gonna blow it out, dry it, and make an ornament!

How so?

So far not much snow on the ground and I've got my fingers crossed that since the overnight accumulation is far short of the prediction that the daytime accumulation will be as well. I think today will be a good day for reading.

I am having the same wishful thinking this morning, Opa. We've only got an inch, rather than the three they predicted for overnight and it's not snowing now. Hopefully the daytime accumulation also holds off. It's supposed to warm right back up after this so it can all melt right back away.
yesss.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom