Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are 11 million laying hens in those big buildings around Michigan according to Michigan State University. And the reason they are in the buildings is that Michigan is in the migration path of wild birds and has many farms, so avian diseases are frequently spread from flock to flock. Also they can keep the temperature at 72 year round and they also keep the lights on 16 hours a day. So it is a controlled environment.
I did not know that when I moved here and brought my hens here 4 years ago. It's good to know.

Last edited:
How long after worming do I have to wait till I can set eggs for hatching? I am sick of my broodies fighting. There is only a week to go on the 3 eggs, Skeeter only just went broody. I am thinking I may give her 1 of the eggs and 2 with the original sitter... Think that Skeeter will be ok since it'll hatch in a week? Or will she freak out when it hatches early?
I'm not sure but I think you can set them anytime. I don't believe worming has anything to do with that, but I'm not sure.

Be sure to have some bananas with you, some gatoraide too. Make sure you find places to keep your cool as needed. Its supposed to be just a bad tomorrow as today, and I know heat does a devil on you.

Don't worry, the hawks will be ok. They've got the neighbors feeding them.
roll.png
probably. Anyway, good point. I will get some gatoraid and the banannas, then, I was looking for ideas besides sandwiches, anyway. Don't worry, i will be hanging out somewhere with water, "farmer" tan and all, lol. Haven't been swimming in years, should be nice.

There are 11 million laying hens in those big buildings around Michigan according to Michigan State University. And the reason they are in the buildings is that Michigan is in the migration path of wild birds and has many farms, so avian diseases are frequently spread from flock to flock. Also they can keep the temperature at 72 year round and they also keep the lights on 16 hours a day. So it is a controlled environment.
I did not know that when I moved here and brought my hens here 4 years ago.  It's good to know.

A lot of hobby farmers do the same, keep a steady 16 hours of light... I do 10-12 in the winter... So I don't burn them out, but I will still get a few eggs a week... Worked nice last year. 2 dozen eggs a week from 7 layers...

A lot of hobby farmers do the same, keep a steady 16 hours of light... I do 10-12 in the winter... So I don't burn them out, but I will still get a few eggs a week... Worked nice last year. 2 dozen eggs a week from 7 layers...
I was reading my notes from the Poultry Class at Michigan State. The vet there said that it is good that the hens lay less eggs in the Winter so they can rebuild their calcium stores in their body. Nature knows best, the shorter day and the break in laying benefits the hen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom