MickaCoo Crisis - The King pigeons and others need your help!

Mary Of Exeter

Songster
10 Years
Apr 10, 2009
Rowan County, NC
This was not written by me, but a friend from another forum. Just passing along the word.

"Dear Adopters, Volunteers, Supporters of MickaCoo and Friends of Pigeons,

Despite tremendous support from all of you, MickaCoo Pigeon & Dove Rescue is facing a crisis. The number of king pigeons coming into Northern California shelters is much higher than the number of adoptions.

MickaCoo is going to have to turn away new intakes. Once that happens, shelters will once again find themselves running out of space and king pigeons will likely be euthanized for lack of homes (unless shelter pigeon adoption rates can be increased).

MickaCoo has 20 amazing pigeons currently in need of forever homes. Bay Area shelters also have pigeons in need of homes, especially the Marin Humane Society which has been so generous in making space when MickaCoo cannot.

Unfortunately, MickaCoo is not alone in this crisis. I know there are lots of other rescues which are also struggling to cope with the needs of so many homeless animals. Knowing that eight million dogs and cats are euthanized in this country every year for want of a home makes me very aware of how rare and precious it is to find a great forever home for a meat pigeon.

MickaCoo has been extremely fortunate to have such generous support from all of you and has benefited from a lot of really positive publicity. I hardly feel like I can ask for more.

But I am asking. MickaCoo needs more adopters (and more funds for vet care and more volunteer support but I'll save those pleas for another day).

I'm not asking for folks who are already full up to take in more but please do be creative about further spreading the word about king pigeons as pets. And remember- MickaCoo ships so spread the word to your far-away friends and relatives too.

Thank you.
e"

So please, if you are wanting to get into the pigeon hobby or would simply like a few as loving pets, consider adopting before buying from breeders. Check MickaCoo, http://rescuereport.org, and http://www.petfinder.com for birds who may just be your new best friend!

Good luck with this post, Becky, and great of you to mention Mickacoo's and SFACC's crisis on BYC....but I got a very negative response when I posted a similiar thread on here a few weeks ago.
idunno.gif

Just curious, but why are they getting in so many? You hardly ever see king pigeons. Its all popular breeds, like homers, etc. I thought kings were kind of rare. Couldn't they get some of the show breeders, and pigeon pet owners to tkae them?

the king pigeons that are being saved are utiltey type raised for meat and some are large crosses kings have a large following of breeders just do not see them in these chats show kings were at one time one of the largest entrys at the npa national it time that the larger breeds are becoming less bred for high cost of mantianing them and the room required for big birds a show king is much like a modena just bigger a s a matter of fact the modenas today are results of crossing show kings for more powerful looking bird early 1970 when i was a kid they were about half the size they are now a modena at one time were flying breed for competion like todays flying flights

The reason why they are getting so many king pigeons is because in California, there are a lot of markets that sell kings (alive) for meat. Good-hearted people buy these birds and release them, thinking they have saved their life and have done a good thing. It's only the opposite, because the pigeons are domestic and being a utility breed, just doesn't know how to fend for itself in the 'wild'. Many of these birds are found injured, sick, or starving to death, and that is how they end up in shelters.
Other breeds and lost young homing pigeons are found as well and taken in.

King pigeons aren't rare as far as I know. Show quality ones may be, but utility birds can be found pretty easily. One member here that I can think of off the top of my head raises them. I used to raise them, and I know there's a pigeon plant in SC that raises hundreds every year for meat. It's just not that common because most people go for the flying breeds or fancy birds for show. Homing pigeons, rollers, and fantails have a much greater appeal to a lot of people. But I think king pigeons and big ole teddy bears
smile.png
They were my first pigeons. If I had the room, I would take some in a heart beat.

Several lofts of Utility Kings down here in the south, There's a huge Cuban market for these birds in Miami, Thousands are sold each week, but i'ts not for meat...

100_0612.jpg

If they don't sell them for meat, then what do they sell them for? I mean, most markets that large usually sell them for that purpose. Or they may not say they do, but I bet most of the live birds sold are taken home to either raise table squabs or to butcher as they are.

Yep because setting them free is much more humane. Ugh. Don't those people realize they are the reason that CA has so many laws restricting ownership on a lot of birds and animals because of people setting them free? Don't see utility kings around here that often either. Although I think we did have one turn up in my sisters backyard last summer. This was a large white bird. I was unable to catch it, and it took off. There were no kings at the county fair pigeon show this year either. I also go a to a local poultry and rabbit auction where hundreds of pigeons are sold. All you see there are mixes, a lot of homers, and every once in a while someone will bring in some culled show birds. Have seen runts there before. But no kings.
sad.png

I love modenas. I like their attitudes.
smile.png
LOL oneof the modena breeders at the county fair show asked me if my Gaint house pigeon cock was part modena, because he wanted to take a chunk out of everyone that got near the cage.

Pine grove, I am curious to know what they use them for too, if they aren't eating them. Hunting? Certainly not pets.

Back
Top Bottom