Miconazole dosing question

awagnon

Songster
11 Years
Dec 3, 2012
Gainesville, TX area
I need to treat a couple of my hens for Vent Gleet. I read a protocol here for treatment to follow. I have mixed up some egg (a guarantee they will eat this stuff as of course it's the picky ones who have it), calcium tabs (these girls are just now coming back online & laying thin shelled eggs after a molt), and the miconazole cream. I accidently mixed in an INCH of cream into each hen's 'treat'. I REALLY have to accept that as I am older, my memory isn't 100% truthful with me. lol When I re-read the post it says to give them a 1/2" ribbon of cream twice a day. ugh!

Will giving them this dosage the first day make them sick? Don't want to add to their stress as they already don't feel 100%. Will be adding ACV to their water each day, as well as giving them some layer feed mash with a probiotic cap each morning for each one.

Anything else I should do besides the spa soak and blow out treatment?

I've tried a number of treatments for vent gleet over the years, and have found that it's an extremely difficult thing to get rid of. Miconazole is mostly ineffective. The standard has been nystatin, which requires a prescription, but even that fails most of the time, at least in my experience.

What does work is Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). This kills the yeast and also flushes it out of the system. But to administer it effectively, you need to tube it into the chicken.

You can buy a tubing kit from your vet or order one here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095J7PFV..._csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&tag=backy-20

The solution is one teaspoon Epsom salts in one-half cup warm water tubed twice a day for three consecutive days.

If you wish to do this, I will give you instructions for your first time.

I've tried a number of treatments for vent gleet over the years, and have found that it's an extremely difficult thing to get rid of. Miconazole is mostly ineffective. The standard has been nystatin, which requires a prescription, but even that fails most of the time, at least in my experience.

What does work is Epsom salts (magnesium sulfate). This kills the yeast and also flushes it out of the system. But to administer it effectively, you need to tube it into the chicken.

You can buy a tubing kit from your vet or order one here. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B095J7PFV..._csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9kZXRhaWw&tag=backy-20

The solution is one teaspoon Epsom salts in one-half cup warm water tubed twice a day for three consecutive days.

If you wish to do this, I will give you instructions for your first time.
Ugh. Not good news to hear, but thanks for the response. Not sure I am up to the tubing, but may have to if it comes to that. She's not hard to handle, but not my most cooperative girl, of course. I may just recrate her and offer this ES water ONLY to see if she will drink it on her own. I really don't want to stress her out anymore since she's already feeling poorly. If not, I guess I will have to get the equipment and go the unpleasant route. :( So the 1/2 cup of ES water won't over fill her crop? I am assuming she gets this all at once each time.

Yes, it should fill the crop. Most crops can handle the half a cup. Bantams will need it adjusted downward as would young pullets. Tubing a chicken is like learning any new task - once you've mastered it, it's then a tool that you will find makes life much more convenient.

Yes, it should fill the crop. Most crops can handle the half a cup. Bantams will need it adjusted downward as would young pullets. Tubing a chicken is like learning any new task - once you've mastered it, it's then a tool that you will find makes life much more convenient.
is there any after affects I should be aware of after giving this to her?

It's like you taking a laxative. It's going to be a relief for her. I've done this flush and the patient was actually energized following each treatment. Chickens, in my experience, tolerate it very well.

Back
Top Bottom