Micro Farm Coop Worklog [UPDATE: SHINGLES ON - PAGE 27]

Busted my butt (and smashed my finger, argh!) getting as much done in between the rain today. The loft storage areas are done and floored and I've got the bulk of the rafters up now.

IMG_2887.JPG

I framed up the end overhang while I was at it so I could get the 24" OC marks in the right place.

IMG_2888.JPG

This is the back loft. It's lower than the front one. It will also be what holds up the roosts when I get that far, via chain or rope, or something.

IMG_2889.JPG

IMG_2890.JPG

The front loft area, up higher than the back. I don't like feeling claustrophobic when I walk in the door so I bumped it up a bit.

IMG_2891.JPG

I'm hoping to get the rest of the rafters done tomorrow so that I can start sheeting it ASAP.

Worked on the coop last night to finish the divider wall and get the door framed and screened. Since it's the inside of the coop I decided just to go with chicken wire as opposed to the heavier grade hardware cloth that I used on the windows.

At this moment the roof is just tarped off. I've got the chickens section all sealed up however with hardware cloth on the windows and openings blocked so that they can hang out [out]inside for a while instead of sitting beside me while I work.
IMG_2892.JPG

I'll end up doing the windows last. Going with an awning window at the top and two out swing windows below.
IMG_2893.JPG

This is a shot looking through the storage side window which is not screened yet. You can see the inner wall section and screened door here.
IMG_2894.JPG

Better shot of the door. There is a 2x10 running along the bottom of the coop to support the wall and keep the shavings in. The door swings out, so you have to step into the coop to open it.
IMG_2895.JPG

And now, some chicken pictures..
wink.png

I've just got a light dusting of shavings down since they're just in it for the day. I'll end up cleaning these out, brushing the floor down good and placing a few box fans inside to speed drying of the floor (which is still somewhat wet) before giving it a good coat of porch paint.
IMG_2897.JPG

IMG_2899.JPG

IMG_2904.JPG

IMG_2908.JPG

IMG_2909.JPG

IMG_2911.JPG

IMG_2912.JPG

It's rather funny the interactions that you don't get to see when they're cooped up in a brooder. A little bit after I put them out on the floor they were chest bumping left and right vying for their position in the pecking order.

Oddly enough I think the little Polish will be the alpha chicken. Darn bad girl complex.

sangel4you: The big white one? Was supposed to be a Buff orp chick.. It's either a sexlink roo, a white rock roo or, well, possibly a leghorn.

The base of some of the wing feathers against the quill have brown/red blotches, so may be a sexlink.

Really... Not a clue at this point.. I've heard every kind of white bird possible so now I figure, it's just a roo.

melissaowens: Thanks.. Hopping it ends up nice, too.
smile.png

I'm still debating the dormer.. Though I'm sold on the copula for sure. I may do two skylights instead on either side.

It just took me 45 minutes to look at all the pictures on your thread and it was well worth the time. I can't wait to see it completed and I bet you can't either.
smile.png

LOL.. Sorry that it took you so long.. I like to take alot of pictures as I go of the various projects I work on around the house. Helps me keep track of things and whatnot..
wink.png

I've been ready for it to be completed for the last two weeks.. I never counted on so many delays though.. If I can just get the roof on and shingled I'd be one happy camper.

So what does everyone thing....

a.) 1 DORMER

or...

b.) 2 SKYLIGHTS

Help me decide!
big_smile.png

Think dual skylights will let in more light for the hens.

Back
Top Bottom