Microscopic bugs?

Pics
We’re talking about using fipronil on the birds not for commercial uses as seed coatings and broad use pesticides. The studies are all about those sorts of uses not treating a few chickens.

"...not treating a few chickens."

To paraphase: "It is ok to use a banned product if you only use a bit of it."?

I starting the 3rd week of using sulphur to try to control/eliminate my mites. We just did a close inspection of three birds that had worse infestations than most of the others, did not find any mites. I plan to continue dusting all bird weekly for six weeks at least

I have done the roosts and area, the birds twice, have gauze bags hanging (eg just below the top of the pop doors} where the chickens brush underneath and get dusted, dust baths, nests.

I have read formal studies that say sulfur will control mites on all birds in the flock even if some do not come in direct contact.

I have also read that mites will not "hatch" in temperatures beloe 8-9C. This may be a factor as we are below that.

So glad you found something that works for you. I use elemental sulfur as well, the research for it is good and it hasn't failed me yet. Gosh, sometimes getting rid of an infestation is impossible, so always good to hear a happy end to one of these posts... only battled it since October ;)

Back
Top Bottom