Ted Brown

Crowing
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
Dec 12, 2018
near Shawville Quebec Canada
My Coop
My Coop
I have have bugs of some description on the birds; they are about the size of a pin point barely a dot against a white dish. They are present on the birds during the day, do not present as mites from the descriptions I have read (but my 1st time with this situation) eg I swiped several onto my forefinger and then crushed them between thumb and forefinger, no blood (midday). I have not checked under the roosts at night, will do so tonight.

All birds are hatched here, no contact with other chickens or animals ; they free range so could have had contact with wild birds. I have lost two ISA Browns recently, do not know why, about 18 months old.

The closeups below are on the edge of a dish 5" wide and then a zoom:

1603821904594.png

1603822368069.png

Closeups of the bird's vent:

Vent.jpg

I have permethrin concentrate in hand.

Thanks

Last edited:
Hmmm, those don't look like poultry mites to me....
....good pics with ruler, can't see them on the bird butt pic.
@Overo Mare @Tesumph what do you think?

If they are on the birds you still might want to treat the birds with permethrin dust.

I have lost two ISA Browns recently, do not know why, about 18 months old.
Did you examine the birds closely for bugs, wounds....and even open them up?
Could be a totally different reason than these bugs you found.

Hmmm, those don't look like poultry mites to me....
....good pics with ruler, can't see them on the bird butt pic.
@Overo Mare @Tesumph what do you think?

If they are on the birds you still might want to treat the birds with permethrin dust.

Did you examine the birds closely for bugs, wounds....and even open them up?
Could be a totally different reason than these bugs you found.

I do not have dust only concentrate and most if not all poultry treatments are available through vets only. Expensive.

There were no wounds or bugs (however this is my 1st encounter with problems so do not really know what to look for) that I saw on the two birds. I did not open them up. They were lethargic, dull eyed for several days before they passed.

The photos are quite grainy. How many legs did they have?

Thank you!

The bugs are tiny, mere specs to the naked eye, I cannot even see a leg much less how many. The phone picture was zoomed to get the shots above although the person who took them is a photographer and said she could get a better shot with a better camera, I will ask her to do that.

Thank you!

The bugs are tiny, mere specs to the naked eye, I cannot even see a leg much less how many. The phone picture was zoomed to get the shots above although the person who took them is a photographer and said she could get a better shot with a better camera, I will ask her to do that.
I understand completely. Yes, please ask your friend to get a couple good macro shots!

It will be the weekend before my friend returns so new pics then.

My weather is closing in here, we are to get 7-8C through the day but it was 0C and we got a covering of snow early this morning. Obviously I must figure out what I need to do to sort this problem out. @aart has cautioned about "spraying poison around" (I have permethrin concentrate only and most/all poultry treatments are only available through a Vet in Canada) and questions whether they are mites at all. My possible resolve options seem to range from it's not a problem don't worry (?) through to complete an enlarged run space and empty/treat the existing coop, run and birds (will enlarge the run space regardless)

Can the mite (Red, Northern, etc.) possibility be eliminated based on pictures and info above? I know that is a difficult call but...

I appreciate all assistance/advice.

Back
Top Bottom