Microscopic Mites on silkie mix chicks.

kuki mom

Chirping
Aug 25, 2020
I have 9 4 month old pet silkies that go indoor and outdoor, their feathers have always been looking great and I always kept them in very clean environment, with minimum contact with the wildlife. However today I discovered that they have microscopic mites crawling all over them but mostly closer to the skin, on the skin and on the feathers and a lot on their vents. They are not visible to the naked eye unless you look very closely with flashlight on them, and they are cream/gray/white color, not red or brown. The birds don't have any loss of feathers or excessive picking. Their skin looks normal and no scabs or dry scales. I had a grain/mold mite infestation from chicken feed store, and these mites look similar to that, but I suppose if they are living on the chickens it's a different species. Some are crawling on their skin and some are stuck on the feathers similar to photos I see on "feather mites." None of them are red, and they don't look like lice. I had to observe very closely with x8 magnifying loop. Do these mites go on dogs or humans? They are the size of dust mites, really really hard to spot them. I wonder if they are harmful to the chickens, I dusted them with food grade Diatomaceous Earth but I am afraid it's bad for their respiratory system. And doing it once didn't get rid of the mites. Any input would be greatly appreciated! I also have two dogs that go everywhere so I'm afraid these mites would be all over the place. So far they don't seem to bite anyone, but I sneeze quite a bit, the chickens look totally fine so far.

Last edited:
Where are you located? If you are in the US Tractor Supply sells a Permethrin product that will clean you chicken and their bedding right up.
oo thank you but I'm in Yucatan Mexico, we've had a series of hurricanes and it got very humid so we have all kinds of mold and mite issues. I'll look it up and see if there is something similar here. Is it only Permethrin? powder form?

I did want to follow up with the fact I did not lose a single bird after treating them with that product. But read the product instructions carefully as there are are differing dilutions for area treatments versus treating the animals. And yes it is only Permethrin. I live on the border with Mexico in Texas so suspect your version will be stronger than mine. Please read the label.

I did want to follow up with the fact I did not lose a single bird after treating them with that product. But read the product instructions carefully as there are are differing dilutions for area treatments versus treating the animals.
Thank you I'll look it up. What about Sevin powder that I can buy here.

Thank you I'll look it up. What about Sevin powder that I can buy here.
I have not used that product so can not comment on it with the exception of treating hornworms in my landscaping and many years ago. Is that simply a BT (Bacillus thuringiensis) product? I would not use that to treat chicken mites personally.

My experience says Permethrin. $20 Us bought about 750ml of it and I probably used only 30ml.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom